browser caching not working with Portal resources

06-10-2021 05:44 PM
Labels (1)
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to speed up load times on a Portal. I have a story map with an embedded web app that loads a web map. Watching in my browser's dev tools, there are over 300 requests, and many of those are for stock .js and .css files, which I assume only change when ArcGIS is upgraded. The initial performance is slow, but it would be a big win if subsequent loads were faster. Unfortunately, ALL those resources are requested all over again every time I load my story map. I see two semi-related issues: 

Expiration: Looking at a stock JavaScript file download, the Expires header comes back as already expired: 

Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

My understanding is that the browser will re-request this file each time since this is marked as expired. Is there some way to get the server to return a future date for the Expires header? I'm not sure if this is in the bowels of Portal or something we can set in IIS. 

Last-Modified and ETag headers: The server returns valid looking Last-Modified and ETag headers with these resources. Here is a sample of these headers returns from a stock JavaScript file: 

Last-Modified: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 20:34:56 GMT
ETag: W/"917504-1592253296000"

My browser correctly submits those in subsequent requests (note: by convention Last-Modified becomes If-Modified-Since and ETag becomes If-None-Match). If those come in the request headers, the server should reply with an HTTP 304 code (Not Modified) with no data in the response payload, signaling that the browser already has the latest resource. The web server is ignoring these, so I am getting all HTTP code 200 responses with all the data returned. 

Figuring out the expiration (above) would make this a moot point if it could prevent the browser from making unnecessary requests. But failing that, is there a way to get the web server to honor the Last-Modified and ETag? This still requires a round trip to the server, but at least the server can reply with a zero-byte payload. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

While those header values are definitely suspect, (might want to reach out to Support), you could also look into this post which describes caching static files via a CDN.

0 Kudos
davedoesgis

Thanks, this is a great solution for AWS users. 

0 Kudos
LanceKirby2
Occasional Contributor II

@davedoesgis I am curious if you ever came up with a solution to your problem? If so, could you share what you implemented?

0 Kudos
davedoesgis

No, I haven't. It was so slow that I stopped using that Portal and moved to AGOL. I'm not sure if the problem/solution lies with Esri software or the Portal admins. It might be the nexus of those two things, i.e.: Portal admins configuring Esri software. I reached out to the Portal admins and just got the runaround ("it works for me"). It was so slow that my key stakeholders refused to use it, so I had no path forward but to migrate everything to AGOL. 

0 Kudos