Basic question about Calculate Geometry

11-29-2011 05:09 AM
GenevièveDufour_Tremblay
New Contributor
Hi,

I am a new user of ArcGIS and have the 9.3 version. I have 2 features sets with projected coordinates. Both sets have the same projection. The first set wasn't well positioned (because of an imprecision in my first GPS measurements) so I had to move the first set toward the second one to stak some reference feature together (with Spatial Adjustment).

I created 2 new fields (new X and new Y) and used "Calculate Geometry" to get , I strongly suppose, the new X and Y coordinates of moved features. Here is my question:

If I use my first features set in a new map, will ArcGIS use the new coordinates? Or will it use the oldest? Do I have to save somewhere the new coordinates, even if they have been calculated in the new fields I created in the Attribute table?

Thanks,
Calipsooo
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnthonyTimpson2
Occasional Contributor
The new location is stored in the shapefile itself and there is no need to recalculate the coordinates.

If you were to look at the coordinates of each vertex you would find that they have automatically changed to reflect the new spatial position.

Unless you need the Coordinate fields you calculated for some other purpose, they are unnecessary.
0 Kudos
GenevièveDufour_Tremblay
New Contributor
All right, thank you very much!

Have a nice day!
0 Kudos