Arranging Standalone Tables in Portal/AGOL?

01-09-2020 07:42 AM
DanaThompson1
New Contributor III

So I'm working on a web application in Portal. The webmap that it's connected to has multiple feature classes and multiple related tables added to them. I've received a request to alphabetize the feature classes and related tables so that when the attribute table widget is used, the user can easily find his/her layer of interest. I can alphabetize the feature classes easily by clicking & dragging. I can't seem to touch the related tables, either in the map or the app's attribute table widget.

The only way I could possibly work around this is deleting everything and adding the feature layers in reverse-alphabetical order (and then reconfiguring all pop-ups, symbology etc) but even then if the feature layer has more than one table, I cannot seem to work around it if those are manifested in incorrect order.

Anyone have any input or suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisPenny
New Contributor II

We have the same/similar issue and, aside from adding the layers individually we're not sure how to mitigate.

• Created an ArcGIS Pro project 
  • Ordered layers and related tables as required (alphabetically)
  • Assigned layer IDs using ArcGIS Pro
  • Published map Service (layer orders were honored)
  • Added Map service to new Web Map
  • Order of table was not honored as per layer IDs. It "generally" ordered the tables in the reverse of how they were ordered in the ArcGIS Pro Project (Alphabetical/descending) and, for good measure, randomly placed a couple of tables in completely the wrong location.

note: if we deleted the web map, then created a new web map and added the same map service it would do the same sort of thing but different tables were placed completely incorrectly. 
ChrisPenny
New Contributor II

I did some investigation and, in our use case, found that, for reasons unknown, using a Map Layer/Service in a web map scrambled order of standalone tables. Try the following:

• Use ArcGIS Pro,
  • Order stand alone tables as required
  • Assign layer IDs,
  • Publish a completely fresh feature layer & map layer (i.e. do not overwrite and existing one)
  • Add new Feature layer/service to web map (do not bother adding a Map Service/Layer). Hopefully your standalone tables will be in the order defined.
    Note: It seems like Feature Service/Layer can be added from the Web Map "Add>Search For Layers" or "Add> Add Layer from Web>Paste appropriate URL"
  • Disable editing of feature layer feature class and table if appropriate.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Chris

ChrisPenny
New Contributor II

ps: this is Portal For ArcGIS. I can't comment on behavior in AGOL

0 Kudos
DanaThompson1
New Contributor III

Hello Chris,

Can you clarify the Assign layer IDs step for me?

-Dana

0 Kudos
ChrisPenny
New Contributor II

Hi Dana,

• Set up ArcGIS Pro and the Standalone Tables as required.
  • Right click > Properties on the top level layer name ("Structures" in image below).

• Select "General > Allow assignment of unique numeric IDs for sharing web layers"

• Once this has been done, each feature class and table is assigned a number which is the Layer ID.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Chris