Select to view content in your preferred language

Admin Item Sharing

yesterday
Labels (1)
BrettFrahm
Occasional Contributor II

We recently upgraded our Portal to 11.2. In previous versions, administrators were able to share another user's items to groups that they are not a part of. This was an important part of how we organized content and groups, because it is not always the case that we want a user to have access to all the content in a group even if we want to share that same user's content to that group.

So as an example we have a group of users that manage donations for our park district and they need the forestry manager's tree dataset with attribute editing enabled so that users in that group can edit memorial tree attributes. The only way to currently do this now without creating security issues, is to create a new group specifically dedicated to sharing this 1 item. I feel like this will create an unruly amount of groups in the long run.

Or another option would be an admin taking ownership of that layer. The problem we have with taking ownership away, is that we use reference services and the easiest way to enable that user to eliminate LOCKS on their dataset in our enterprise database, is for them to be able to pause the service so they can make schema changes.

I have a feeling that being able to do this before 11.2 was an unintentional feature and they have now "fixed" it, but I still wish it was around or that there was a way for users to share to groups they are not part of. Looking for people's thoughts and workarounds. Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies