Adding Surrounding Map labels to Data Driven Pages

03-07-2012 04:41 AM
LauraMarles
New Contributor
Hi Everyone,
I am looking for advice on the best way to add surrounding map labels to data driven pages.  My grid is quite irregular, so unfortunately it is not as easy as using the 'Calculate Adjacen Fields' tool.  I think I will need to use annotation within the data frame to add the text to labels for adjacent maps; however, I also want to clip the data frame for each map in the series to the appropriate boundary in the grid/map key.  If I use the 'clip to current data driven page extent' in the Data Frame properties, I will not be able to add the surrounding map labels in the data frame so that they are visible. 

Is there any way I can add the text for surrounding map labels to the layout view, but have different labels with different placements on each page in the series?

The only other alternative I have been able to think of is to divide all of my data layers using the Map Key shapefile and assign a field to store the MapKey number so that I can use Page Definitions to only show the data within each map key boundary and still leave the rest of the data frame open so that I can add the adjacent map labels as annotation in the data frame, but that just seems like a complicated solution.  I am hoping there is way I can manipulate the text in the layout view.

I hope this makes sense.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LauraMarles
New Contributor
I think I found the answer here in post #11 - http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/738-Beta-10-Data-Driven-Pages-Still-have-a-way-to-go.

I totally missed the 'Exclude Layers' option in the Data Frame properties.  That at least makes it easier to use annotation to label the surrounding maps.

Thanks.
0 Kudos