Select to view content in your preferred language

Accessing embedded Georeferencing data in Adobe Illustrator

02-05-2012 02:23 PM
AnthonyCheesman1
Frequent Contributor
Good morning

I am currently working on generating a very large map (5 metres wide x 2.5 tall) to be displayed on a wall. Due to system limitations, I have generated the map as a number of tiles, with the intention of stitching these tiles together using Adobe Illustrator or similar prior to outsourcing the printing (a technique that has worked for me in the past).

To speed up this process, I was wondering if it was possible to access / use the embedded georeferencing within the pdf tiles in Illustrator to help allign and stitch the tiles? I am not at all familiar with Illustrator (have outsourced this component of the job) but am wondering if anyone is aware of a potential solution.

Cheers

Anthony
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JimW1
by
Frequent Contributor
I tried to hack my around the PDF outputs but never found anything useful.

I would suggest setting markers at set reference points on each of your maps using the draw toolbar. If you place a marker in the 'Data View' you can then set its location via the properties dialogue. Change the marker to a 'Character Marker Symbol' and then I usually use ESRI Default Marker (Unicode) 65 as a registration marker.

In AI, they can use these registration marks to align each map fairly easily and usually with minimal error (especially if you are out sourcing). The AI operator can then just turn off the registration marks before printing.

If you're ambitious make a point layer and set the symbology to the same markers.
0 Kudos