Select to view content in your preferred language

Modifying EC2 Size after Cloud Formation Deployment

Jump to solution
09-01-2023 11:13 AM
JVig
by
New Contributor III

We are attempting to deploy Enterprise 11.1 using the cloud formation templates provided by Esri. I have integrated the templates into my Terraform code and launched them on our AWS profile successfully. For the most part, everything is working swimmingly.

However, there is one thing I noticed when using the Lambda functions to start and stop the stacks: the fileserver instance is also tied to the stack. Our EC2 instance sizes are declared in the parameters of the cloud formation resource. If, for example, my  VP decides we need to save some money, and I need to lower the size of my EC2 instance, I would need to modify that in the terraform parameters and re-launch.

Here is where I get a bit confused: if I have integrated an IdP in my portal configuration, but then I launch the stack to change the EC2 size, will the fileserver also be destroyed? Meaning all of the users we have integrated would be deleted and I would have to set up the entire IdP integration with Portal again?

I understand there is a way to persist resources in the cloud formation templates themselves (I have not modified mine, just to stay in scope of support), but I don't think you could hook up the persistent resource to a newly deployed set of resources in the stack without some custom scripting. 

Any insight into how to modify the existing resource without relaunching the entire stack would be really helpful!

Thank you,

Jason Vignochi

Sr. Software Engineer

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JVig
by
New Contributor III

After a bit more investigation, it appears you can resize your EC2's manually from the AWS console. I could probably just update the code to match the changes I make manually and not deploy.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JVig
by
New Contributor III

After a bit more investigation, it appears you can resize your EC2's manually from the AWS console. I could probably just update the code to match the changes I make manually and not deploy.

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Indeed. You just need to power off the ec2 instance, then change the ec2 instance type to scale up or down and then start the ec2 instance again.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov