ArcGIS Enterprise on AWS or Azure

Jump to solution
03-06-2024 07:26 AM
JummaKhan
New Contributor III

Hi All,

We are moving from on-premises to cloud. What is better option AWS or Azure. Does any VM located in Canada?

1. Does AGS is update automatically

2. How map services are maintained on the cloud

Any help is appreciated.

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@JummaKhan - this is a very complex question actually.

1. the first step is to design the type of ArcGIS Enterprise deployment that you need and which ArcGIS Enterprise components and extensions that you will need, e.g. Portal, Server, DataStore, etc.

2. determine how many VMs in the deployment, and the size in terms of cpu, memory, disk, network of each machine.

3. then determine the ArcGIS Enterprise Licenses that you will need to buy for your deployment and determine if you can use any of your existing licenses in the Cloud. You will need to discuss this with your Esri account manager.

4. You can reach out to Esri Professional Services to perform a System Architecture Design for you and to estimate the size of the VMs for your workload.

GIS Consulting Services | Consulting & Project Services (esri.com)

5. Then, with the System Architecture Design information you can use the Cloud Cost Estimate Tool to determine the monthly cost of the deployment in the cloud.

Pricing Calculator | Microsoft Azure

AWS Pricing Calculator

6. Optionally you can reach out to Esri Managed Services if you prefer to have Esri to manage for you the ArcGIS Enterprise in the Cloud (AWS or Azure).

Managed Cloud Services | GIS Cloud Hosting (esri.com)

7. Another viable option is to explore ArcGIS Online, but that might not offer all the features that you need, and you might need to go with ArcGIS Enterprise in the Cloud.

ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise? You don’t have to choose. (esri.com)

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@JummaKhan 

There is no best cloud. It is a customer preference to go with AWS or Azure. There are many factors that can make your IT department to choose one cloud vendor over the other.

1. Does AGS is update automatically

Answer: No, it does not. AWS or Azure you will create a VM and deploy ArcGIS Enterprise, then install the ArcGIS Enterprise patches like you do with a machine on-premises.

2. How map services are maintained on the cloud

Answer: The same way you maintain map services in a machine running ArcGIS Server on-premises.

For more information go to ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

AWS has the regions Canada-Central and Canada-West.

Global Infrastructure Regions & AZs (amazon.com)

Azure has the regions Canada-Central and Canada-West as well.

Choose the Right Azure Region for You | Microsoft Azure

Your cloud administrator must choose the region closest to your location to deploy the resources.

I hope this clarifies your questions.

JummaKhan
New Contributor III
Thanks MarceloMarques.

Is there a link to share cost of cloud Enterprise. 
0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@JummaKhan - this is a very complex question actually.

1. the first step is to design the type of ArcGIS Enterprise deployment that you need and which ArcGIS Enterprise components and extensions that you will need, e.g. Portal, Server, DataStore, etc.

2. determine how many VMs in the deployment, and the size in terms of cpu, memory, disk, network of each machine.

3. then determine the ArcGIS Enterprise Licenses that you will need to buy for your deployment and determine if you can use any of your existing licenses in the Cloud. You will need to discuss this with your Esri account manager.

4. You can reach out to Esri Professional Services to perform a System Architecture Design for you and to estimate the size of the VMs for your workload.

GIS Consulting Services | Consulting & Project Services (esri.com)

5. Then, with the System Architecture Design information you can use the Cloud Cost Estimate Tool to determine the monthly cost of the deployment in the cloud.

Pricing Calculator | Microsoft Azure

AWS Pricing Calculator

6. Optionally you can reach out to Esri Managed Services if you prefer to have Esri to manage for you the ArcGIS Enterprise in the Cloud (AWS or Azure).

Managed Cloud Services | GIS Cloud Hosting (esri.com)

7. Another viable option is to explore ArcGIS Online, but that might not offer all the features that you need, and you might need to go with ArcGIS Enterprise in the Cloud.

ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise? You don’t have to choose. (esri.com)

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos