This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Enterprise (October 16, 2019)

10-16-2019 08:40 AM
jill_es
Esri Contributor
15 1 2,618

As part of the Product Advocacy team here at Esri, I'm excited to introduce this completely unofficial recurring GeoNet post: This Week’s Picks.  As Product Advocacy Leads, we are continuously coming across informative, interesting, and inspiring content.  Through This Week's Picks, we hope to quickly share some of our favorites with you.

In This Week's Picks – ArcGIS Enterprise, I want to focus on three pieces of content that answer some of the questions I was asked by customers at the UC this past summer.  I know they can't be the only ones wanting to know the answers, so let's share the knowledge by answering these questions!

1. What does it mean to have my data user managed versus ArcGIS managed?

2. Should I move my GIS to the cloud?

3. What type of security should I use when setting up ArcGIS Enterprise?

1.  What does it mean to have my data user managed versus ArcGIS managed?

Data can be handled two ways in the ArcGIS platform: it can be either user managed or ArcGIS managed. Oftentimes this concept comes up in passing, whether on a Support call, GeoNet, in training, or in the middle of a Professional Services engagement.  This can leave users stumped.  Not only are they sometimes not sure which type of data management their organization is using, they're not sure if what they're doing is right.  Answer this question for yourself by taking a look at this whitepaper.

2. Should I move my GIS to the cloud?
More and more organizations are trying to answer this question as cloud computing has some advantages over on-premise deployments. These advantages include scalability, agility, and cost-efficiency.  This article covers assessing your current infrastructure in order to make sure you make the best choice for your organization; check it out here 

3. What type of security should I use when setting up ArcGIS Enterprise?
While anybody can read the documentation to see the security options available with ArcGIS Enterprise, this video takes it a step further by covering configuring SSL, different ArcGIS Enterprise identity stores, and best practices so that ArcGIS Enterprise meets your organization’s security requirements.  See what your security options are by checking out this video.

Thanks for reading, fellow ArcGIS Enterprise fans!  Be sure to check out This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Pro - and stay tuned for the next ArcGIS Enterprise installment coming on Wednesday, October 30th.

1 Comment
About the Author
Product Manager | ArcGIS Enterprise