Labeling in ArcGIS Earth

04-08-2023 12:47 PM
MarcBordelon
New Contributor II

Is there any file that can be labeled  in ArcGIS Earth other than a cvs. I was really hoping that a file that was drawn and converted to a shape file, the polygons could be labeled. I found out from a previous post that kml and kmz files with polygons could not be labeled at this time. 

Just wondering if a shape file, with polygons, could be labeled. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XiChen
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

@MarcBordelon Yes, Shapefiles, .txt and .csv files, GeoJSON, and feature services can all be labeled. Please refer to this doc for the detailed steps of how to enable label and configure the label style in ArcGIS Earth - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-earth/use/apply-label.htm

0 Kudos
MarcBordelon
New Contributor II

Not really! The only way i was able to label the polygon (as a shape file) was to create the shape file in QGIS, with features, but when I added the shape file to ArcGIS Earth it would not let me move the label. I tried using the direction menu but it said that I didn't have permission for world/route.mapserver. I tried googling this map server but I couldn't find it. Do you have any suggestions? I was trying to avoid purchasing an ArcGIS Lic. but I may just have to resolve to purchasing a license for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Pro. 

Thank you for your response. 

0 Kudos
Pål_Herman_Sund
Occasional Contributor II

A Label can not be moved either in ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Earth nor ArcMap - you may to a certain extent control the placement of a Label (via the Position and Remove overlap label) If You want to be able to have better control there is a datatype called Annotation in ArcGIS. That are text's with fixed size according to a scale, not supported in Shapefiles

0 Kudos
jsphillips
Esri Contributor

Hi @MarcBordelon, ArcGIS Earth has great support for labels when using Mobile Geodatabase. When labeling polygons there are two supported placement options: Best Position or Horizontal in Polygon. For lines the placement options are: Best Position, Top of Line, Bottom of Line, Centered on Line, Centered on Start Point, and Centered on End Point. You also have the option to remove overlapping labels and assign label priorities to each feature you wish to label. Typically, annotations are used when manually moving labels are necessary. 

John Phillips | Product Manager ArcGIS Earth
Esri | jphillips@esri.com | T 757 575 0786
0 Kudos