Drone2Map Workstation info and Video Card topic

08-17-2022 06:49 AM
IaGeoff
New Contributor II

Thought I'd start a Subject related to a number of  Drone2Map Performance issues see posted, that I'd initially experienced as well.... which came down to Video Card specific.  Know broad topic on Workstation systems used for Drone2Map processing, yet after running on 4 difference Workstations..... this topic of Video Card(s) became VERY clear.

Simply put, if you're using a GeFORCE Graphics Card (vs. a Quadro).... this is BIG.  Download (or have I.T.) get and install the Nvidia GeFORCE Experience https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/download/    By default, these Cards installed the GAMING Drivers, and if you want Drone2Map stable, then you'll need to install and switch to Nvidia STUDIO Drivers.  This above install lets you easily switch Driver Modes, and keep your Nvidia GeForce Graphics Card Firmware options current.  It's a MUST have for anyone using an Nvidia GeFORCE Graphics Card with a product like Drone2Map (refer to ESRI System Req.).

After days of crashing, switching systems, etc..... made this single change and POOF..... flawless processing on the Workstations outlined below.

** Extra Read:

I've used Quadro Cards (nothing but) FOREVER in CAD, ArcGIS, Renderings, etc. (and some amazing AMD Cards as well !!).  Now I'm in an organization that is using GeForce cards (or even less) in Workstations.  Started using Drone2Map mid 2021, and for a small Parking Lot or Site Plan areas, even a Laptop with basic Graphics pushed results.  Now welcome Larger projects (50, 100, 200+ images, etc.).  Even a high end Workstation, consistently dumps, crashing, hanging up during processing, Camera Calibration hanging up...... you name it.  Then, looking deeper into all workstations started to make sense.

Even the following PC/Workstation spec., needed to change above Graphics Drivers as outlined:

Lenovo ThinkSTA P620 w/Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5975WX 32-Cores 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable) using NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

HP z4 w/Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2135 CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable) using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Lenovo ThinkSTA (XL Case) Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6242 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.79 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.6 GB usable) using NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

So, case in point..... think you get the idea on the GeForce Cards related to Workstation Spec.'s,

Now even say a Basic HP Laptop w/Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.85 GB usable) using basic Intel UHD Graphics 620 (MoBo).

The later Laptop will push say 20-40 images and process, yet forget it otherwise..... you'll be lucky to even see your Flight Project Data when you hit 50, and definitely at 100 images and over !!!!  Waste of Time !!!!

Hopefully the above helps someone at onset with Drone2Map System resources, and have been out of PC building since 2018, yet Xi Computer builds since 2004 to 2018... then prior Dell Precision's from <2004 started late 1990's.

Feel free to Post your Workstation spec.'s and basic Drone2Map Project info, as will likely help others pushing comparable projects.

Thanks

0 Kudos
0 Replies