Select to view content in your preferred language

Drone2Map Ortho not stitching together well

Jump to solution
03-19-2024 01:25 PM
StormwaterAdmin
New Contributor III

Hi there!

I'm trying to create an orthomosiac of an urban area and am having trouble with the images not stitching together properly. I've used Drone2Map (standard license) on several projects and this is the first time experiencing this issue. 

I have tried using both the "None" and "Sparse Point Cloud" orthorectification methods and neither produced the results I need.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBarker1
Esri Contributor

Hi @StormwaterAdmin,

One the first things that stands out is the ground control that you are using. It looks like you are getting some pretty high residual values which can negatively affect the adjustment and output quality. Have you processed without these control points and do you see the same seamline issues? 

MarkBarker1_0-1710961586441.png

Additionally, are you on the latest version of Drone2Map? (2023.2.2) 

If not, then I would highly recommend you update as we have done some significant improvements to orthomosaic generation. Specifically, True Ortho products are now the default for both Standard and Advanced licenses. https://doc.arcgis.com/en/drone2map/2023.1/get-started/whats-new.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_7E15549EFB7E47C3B...

Please test processing the flight on the latest version and let me know if you are still seeing these issues.

Regards,

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
GordonSumerling
Esri Regular Contributor

@StormwaterAdmin SOme questions for you based on your covergae.

1) When you flew the area dis you have at least 70% image covergae?

2) What type of flight pattern dod you fly? Area Survey, CrossHatch, Random?

3) Can you show a screen capture of your flight pattern

4) for the stitching method you should use higher density point clouds if oyu have sparce image coverage, as it is this characteristic that D2M uses to tie image points together

Cheers

Gordon

0 Kudos
StormwaterAdmin
New Contributor III

I used DJI GS Pro photomap with a 80% front and 70% side overlap. I have attached a photo of my flight pattern. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MarkBarker1
Esri Contributor

Hi @StormwaterAdmin,

Would mind sharing the processing report from the project? 

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
StormwaterAdmin
New Contributor III

Here you go!

0 Kudos
MarkBarker1
Esri Contributor

Hi @StormwaterAdmin,

One the first things that stands out is the ground control that you are using. It looks like you are getting some pretty high residual values which can negatively affect the adjustment and output quality. Have you processed without these control points and do you see the same seamline issues? 

MarkBarker1_0-1710961586441.png

Additionally, are you on the latest version of Drone2Map? (2023.2.2) 

If not, then I would highly recommend you update as we have done some significant improvements to orthomosaic generation. Specifically, True Ortho products are now the default for both Standard and Advanced licenses. https://doc.arcgis.com/en/drone2map/2023.1/get-started/whats-new.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_7E15549EFB7E47C3B...

Please test processing the flight on the latest version and let me know if you are still seeing these issues.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
StormwaterAdmin
New Contributor III

I updated to the latest version and the ortho is looking much better! Thanks for the help.

MarkBarker1
Esri Contributor

Glad to hear! Happy to help 

0 Kudos