Select to view content in your preferred language

Prerelease for ArcGIS 10.6 or ArcGIS 10.5 Enterprise?

Jump to solution
10-04-2017 06:02 PM
AlexP_
by
Frequent Contributor

Prerelease for ArcGIS 10.6 or ArcGIS 10.5 Enterprise? What is the different? Which do you recommend? I am looking into purchase product related gov. I am not clear about pre release but it sounds risky. Please advise. Thank you.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sadly there is no mention of replacing python 2.7 with python 3.5+ at least.  I suppose they are going to run ArcMap until python 2.7 becomes terminal next year.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm also wondering about Server. We were about to upgrade to 10.5.x Server very soon. Anyone else in this boat? I'm wondering about advantages of 10.6 Server. On the one hand, I like that 10.5.1 is patched and vetted. On the other hand, I imagine patches going forward will be for 10.6, at least feature updates. I know security ones are backported farther back. I believe there were a few things about more streamlined Portal setup. We don't have Portal but are considering it either when I install 10.5/6 or perhaps some point thereafter.   And yes for Python 3 >>.ArcPro.    

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kevin MacLeod   We are in the same boat. We are working on upgrading from 10.2.2 to 10.5.1.   (edit....For Server, Portal, Image Server)

We have so many other moving parts in the picture (SQL, new servers/OS, remote servers/workstaion vs local, etc) and it has taken us so long to get to a place we are ready to really do it, that we will not move to 10.6, even if it is released before our upgrade is ready.  

I think the move to 10.5.1 and all the rest is a big enough leap for us that the vetted-ness of it is a plus. I'm sure it will get patches as need for quite some time....even if not necessarily new features.  

my 2-cents, from our perspective.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are actually exactly the same boat! With SQL, OS, hardware etc.  And yes I'm also leaning on the same decision, going 10.5.1.x Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe we can discuss how it went with each other at Dev Conf! Hope to see you there!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I think that is smart.  An upgrade to 10.6 should be fairly painless (after vetting) once 10.5.1 is running smooth, is my guess.  We also haven't done anything with Portal, except install and set up a test site using my developer subscription. 

We do not plan to federate at all because of all the overhead of the named users and the "security take over" of ArcGIS Server. 

I'm actually starting with our Image Server server (on its own machine now) and trying to improve on what I had done (or not done efficiently) in our 10.2.2 server.  I have a long thread I started yesterday you can find if interested. It's mainly trying to help get my mind wrapped around all of it.

See you at the Dev!

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS 10.5.1 is the current release. I would recommend ArcGIS 10.5.1 over 10.5.0 for immediate use.

Pre-release builds are not supported for upgrade to final, so pre-release is not comparable to any final release in terms of deployment. 10.6pr is great to practice for 10.6 upgrade, but you have to be willing to walk away from any data which has been migrated.

- V