Is there a way to track concurrent license usage and lockouts?

02-04-2016 09:45 AM
JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

I want to increase the number of licenses we have but in order to justify it to the budget committee I need to prove that people are getting locked out often and that we are at max capacity often.  Is there a way to track this?

23 Replies
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

you're welcome! glad to help. Yup, pyodbc needs it to connect to the database. here is the full guide of driver strings by version: Connecting to SQL Server from Windows · mkleehammer/pyodbc Wiki · GitHub  It also mentions "It's generally best to use the latest drivers on your PC, regardless of the version of SQL Server you are connecting to, because the drivers are largely backwards-compatible. However you may prefer to use the specific driver for your SQL Server instance."

0 Kudos
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

update...

Remote Machine:

1) running arcgis license manager

2) housing and running python scripts

Local Machine:

1) housing/running SQL Server Management Studio with GISLicenseTrack db

I have been able to prove that i can connect to SSMS from the remote machine to read and write to exiting tables within SSMS. Within the LicenseMonitory.py i only adjusted the pyodbc.connect settings for my particular sql and un/pw creds. I also inserted random print() commands so i can see progress within the script. 

I seem to be running into an issue where it appears the script runs through completely but nothing is written to the actual tables in the sql db. did you run into any issues like this where it appeared things were working, but no results were listed within sql?

thanks again for all your help!

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Dave Tenney‌, sorry for the delay. Did you figure it out? I think I did have that issue. The other part I remember editing was the regular expression.

Try this: regUserRecord = re.compile(r"^    (\S+) (\S+) .+\(v(\d{1,2}[\.\d+]*)\) .+, start \w+ (\d+)/(\d+) (\d+):(\d+)")

DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

that was it!

working like a charm now, thank you so much for all your help!

Dave