Select to view content in your preferred language

Difficulty with changing projection

Jump to solution
10-22-2018 10:01 PM
VeraKhazanova
New Contributor

Can someone please help with this very odd projection related problem I'm having?

I've received an Excel file with data, the coordinates are available in the attached sheet. 

The coordinates are most likely in the 'WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_14N' coordinate system. I've tried to verify this by iterating through all the 130 UTM projections and selecting the one that plotted a control point in the place I expected it to be. 

I've created points from all the coordinates in the attached sheet and spent all day trying to project these points into the regular 'GCS_WGS_1984' system.

I cant even get these plotted points to line up with polygons that are in the same UTM projection! 

The Project tool is failing with a '9999999' error code. The original projection is defined, so that's not the cause

I've tried change the projection for a single point's coordinates as done here: Coordinate transformation in arcpy 

In the past, I've never had a problem changing the spatial reference from 'WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_14N' to 'GCS_WGS_1984' using the Project tool.

How can I plot the attached points in ArcMap and project to  'GCS_WGS_1984'?

The challenge is that it took a month to request the data and these coordinates are all I have to work with.

I'd really appreciate if someone can help figure this out.

Thank you

0 Kudos
14 Replies
VeraKhazanova
New Contributor

Wow, how did you figure that out??

I didn't have that projection available, so I downloaded it here:

NAD 1983 StatePlane Texas South Central FIPS 4204 Feet: ESRI Projection -- Spatial Reference 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Lat,Long and street address you gave. ArcMap data frame set to Texas State Plane South Central (but possibly is the HARN flavor) with world street map base map. Lat,Long to street address. Cursor position to X,Y tupple matching the data.  Then just load the table to geodatabase, and create an x,y display of the table data.

You are on ArcGIS, so would be very surprised if you did not have the State Plane coordinate systems available in the listing for Projected coordinate systems to assign to a data frame.

And, with a little fiddling (for practice) exactly the same flow and availability of State Plane projections and table load to geodatabase and display of x,y data using ArcGIS Pro.

VeraKhazanova
New Contributor

Got it.

Did you recognize that you needed to set the Texas State Plane South Central data frame after seeing the coordinates?

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sure!  But, I kind of cheated since most "administrative" GIS is done in State Plane, and Houston is in the same SPCS 83 zone as San Antonio so I work data sets cast in it often. Though personally for most of my mapping I prefer UTM.

=-ref-=

State Plane Coordinate System - Wikipedia 

State Plane Coordinate System—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

VeraKhazanova
New Contributor

Awesome, thank you

0 Kudos