ArcMap not opening MXD

04-17-2017 09:40 AM
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

Whenever I try to double click an mxd file from within windows explorer, I get this error (it's adding an extra ".mxd" to the file path). Has anyone else had this error?  Any help would be appreciated : )

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

If you right click on the file in Windows Explorer and choose Open With..

does it show ArcGIS File Handler ESRI?

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1

Yes.  I switched it to Arcmap.exe and it did the same thing, so I changed it back to the file handler.

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1

Did a reinstall and restart and it's fixed now...weird error, I'd never seen it before.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What happens if you open ArcMap > File > Open > Browse to the corresponding MXD file and add it?

Also try to show the extension of the known file types and verify if ".mxd" appears twice.

How to show or hide file name extensions in Windows Explorer

If it appears twice, you should delete one of the ".mxd" from the filename.

Think Location
DavidForbuss1

Thanks Jayanta.  It seems to be working now.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

This just happened to me on Windows 10, how did you fix this again? I'm installing 10.6...

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1

Hi Micheal.  I honestly forgot how I fixed that...I seem to recall disassociating .mxd's with arcmap, rebooting, re-associating them, then another reboot.  I've been calling tech support for these types of issues lately, and they can usually figure them out.  

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

I figured this out by unchecking "run as administrator" for ArcMap, not really sure how it was ever enabled as I honestly don't think that I did it at any point.  This also resolved another issue where I could not see any mapped network drives in ArcCatalog i.e. E:, G:, etc. -- ? unchecking run as admin on the .exe for ArcMap solved both of these issues, this was after updating to 10.6.  Hopefully this helps someone else.

0 Kudos