Arcmap 10.4 in Windows 7 64-bit

Jump to solution
02-28-2016 10:45 PM
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Hi,

Just recently upgraded ( without uninstalling 10.2 ) to 10.4 in my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit machine and starts throwing this error upon opening ArcCatalogue.

ErrMssg.JPG

It doesn't show with ArcMap.  Noticed some tools not working and so does searching.

Some issues with a 64-bit machine ?  .. Because a colleague installed 10.4 with a 32-bit machine with no issues.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Hi Dan again,

What OS are you having ?  Have you installed recent updates from Microsoft ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

using Windows 10 version 1511 OS build 10586.122) and I have it to patch automatically

0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan.  I have considered that as an option.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Reginaldo,

Great, and for any residual issues, please see Curtis Price's  Resetting your ArcGIS application profile suspect your ArcGIS user profile is in the mix as well.

Stuart

0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Hi Stuart,

I have done that also. ( pls see previous comments ).  I did a total reset of my ArcGIS Profile.  I just removed 10.4 and installed 10.3.1.  Its worse , ArcMap doesnt open at all , i.e. after the flash screen, it just crashes.  ArcCatalogue opens but running any tool from the Geoprocessing menu will crash ArcCatalogue.

I wish I can test it with another Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit machines.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

On your 10.2.x install, did you have any third party extensions installed? And if so, did you uninstall those before the upgrade?

i know in older versions we would have issues if we didn't uninstall the third party extensions before any upgrade or uninstall. For use, sometimes the easiest solution was to reinstall the older version, make sure al these items we off and then uninstall, and then do the upgrade.

also, maybe jumping from 10.2 to 10.4 was too much for it.  i know in the documentation for the prerelease (haven't read the final docs) it mentioned that 10.4 was meant to be installed on top of 10.3.  That may just have been for the prerelease, but you could try reinstalling 10.2...upgrade to 10.3 then 10.4.  It's a hassle, but just something else to try.

0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Yes Rebecca, you are right.  There was this ET GeoWizard  ( ??? ) I have to remove from the registry.  Its a third party software for 10.2.  I thought of installing 10.4 straight away ( its the full version ) but I will try your suggestion first.

Thanks.

Update:  Installed 10.2.2 -> 10.3.1 -> 10.4

10.2.2 - working fine.  tools working and all ( Data Operability and 64-bit Background GP installed )

10.3.1 - ArcCatalogue opens but running any tool will crash.   ArcMap does not open at all ( note: Latest service Pack installed ; Data Operability and 64-bit Background GP installed )

- tried some solutions ( python 2.7 -> 2.7-32 in the registry ) to no avail.

Decided to go on with installation 10.4 hoping issues may have been resolved.

10.4 - R6034 error and tools opening but with empty dialog windows.  R6034 resolved by renaming msvcr90.dll inside ....Intel\iCLS Client.  Second issue still persists, i.e., GP tools showing blank dialog window.

Also, just found out that it also occurs on 32-bit machines, sorry about that Dan Patterson​, Rebecca Strauch, GISP​, V Stuart Foote

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Reginaldo Paderon wrote:

... There was this ET GeoWizard ( ??? ) I have to remove from the registry. Its a third party software for 10.2.

Actually, that could be the entire issue. Simply removing from the Windows registry is not enough. Uninstalling the program is what removes its linkages often by GUID  from the Global cache and WinSxS.

The ET Spatial Techniques folks provide their ET Uninstaller utility.  Use that, and then do a repair install 10.4, see if it clears things up.

AndrewWilson99
Occasional Contributor

Great catch on Rebecca Strauch, GISP's part which points out how "little details" can be so important to diagnose these issues!

As far as I know, standard conventional wisdom with any Esri upgrade ("in-place" included) remains to remove any and all 3rd party tools (and the cautious that want to save time in the long run even remove ESRI ones that don't come in the core application install) that interact with the ArcGIS programs before starting the upgrade/downgrade. 

The 64-bit python folder could be an artifact from installing 64-Bit Background Processing in 10.4 as that is where I have seen it show up before.  As many have pointed out here and elsewhere unfortunately the install seems to be a little loose (and by that I mean that a fair number of people run into problems) with the siting of the 64-bit Python path in the PATH variable.   As well, direct upgrades may or may not upgrade the old Python path. 

Needless to say after reading this thread, people using ArcGIS for Desktop often need to be cyber sleuths to actually use the program!

I believe that the vast majority of current ArcGIS for desktop users are using 64-bit operating systems and the majority of those are Windows 7, SP 1. 

0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Thanks Stuart.  Yes, you are right.  I already removed 10.2.2 then when Rebecca suggested to remove any 3rd party extension.  Only then I remembered I had this and checking the registry showed a lot of entries of ET GeoWizard.  Never thought of checking if developer has an uninstall program 😞

Anyways, I think I have cleaned the registry of any ET GeoWizard Entries such that running the Uninstall utility does not find the program anymore.  Just checked on the 32-bit machine in the same dilemma as I am, it does not have ET GeoWizard installed in his previous 10.2.2.

Take note we had no issue at all at 10.2.2.  The Blank windows started from 10.3.1 , be it 64-bit or 32-bit.

0 Kudos