Arcmap 10.4 in Windows 7 64-bit

Jump to solution
02-28-2016 10:45 PM
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Hi,

Just recently upgraded ( without uninstalling 10.2 ) to 10.4 in my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit machine and starts throwing this error upon opening ArcCatalogue.

ErrMssg.JPG

It doesn't show with ArcMap.  Noticed some tools not working and so does searching.

Some issues with a 64-bit machine ?  .. Because a colleague installed 10.4 with a 32-bit machine with no issues.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

> Wonder what is the use of the Python 64-bit version. ( C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.4)

The 64 bit Python is installed and used as part of Background Geoprocessing 64-bit (a separate installer from Desktop, that can also be kicked off from the Setup.exe).

You are correct about ArcMap and ArcCatalog using the 32-bit Python.

One gotcha people run into is that the file association for Python is assigned to the last Python installed. So, if you install Desktop and then Background Geoprocessing, IDLE will start up with 64 bit Python and double clicking or naming a file "myprogram.py" will run the 64 bit, and anything run from ArcMap (say a toolbox) run the "foreground" will run in 32 bit Python.

ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Thanks Curtis.  I did noticed this upon doing all these install / uninstall 🙂

Noted.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

On x64 Windows, ArcMap/ArcCatalog/ArcScene etc run 32-bit python in the foreground (ie as a subprocess to the desktop application), and use the 64-bit Python when running tools in the background.. This is because these apps are 32-bit and to run python in-process they must use the 32-bit version.

0 Kudos
PaulJordan
New Contributor III

I am having the same problem.  I'm also finding that zonal statistics as table function (spatial analyst) is operating erratically.  My solution: drop back to 10.3.1 and remind myself that every major release for the last 20 years has required a patch in the first couple of months!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Here is another thread that has several suggestions

Toolbox tools are blank - ARCMap 10

including the (always a good suggestion) Resetting your ArcGIS application profile

which many times clears up anomalies.

PaulJordan
New Contributor III

Thank You Rebecca!  Runtime error solved.

PJ

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Glad to hear. Remember to make this thread as answered.

edit: As Stuart pointed out, Paul isn't original poster.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Actually Paul J. can't as issue is still active for OP Reginaldo P.

0 Kudos
PaulJordan
New Contributor III

Still an issue for me too!  I thought it was solved but I still get the runtime message when opening ArcCatalog.

PJ

0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Solution:  Go back to 10.2.2 , no issues at all.  The issue actually was from 10.3.1 ( 64-bit ).  I have 10.3.1 in my other 32-bit machine and everything is working fine.  In 10.3.1, it was worse.  Opening a tool just keeps on running until it finally crashes.  At least in 10.4, it opens but with blank window.

I have tried practically everything from the net , from this forum and from ESRI rep here to no avail.  Just wondering why 10.2.2 has no issues at all if it was something related to group policies implemented in our network.

Update: March 21, 2016:  No choice but to go for 10.4.  DC to our Database in an new sever ( Oracle-EXADATA ) crashes in 10.2.2.   Fortunately, was able to convince our IT to remove my machine from which other Internet Security is applied.  As in I read in other forums,  ArcGIS Tools are dependent on your IE settings.  Unfortunately there are settings that are controlled by our Sys Adm.  Tools working fine now 🙂

Thank you to all for the inputs.

0 Kudos