ArcGIS Desktop won't connect to ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
07-16-2014 02:07 PM
MikeLouwrens
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

On my work PC when I open an ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, etc.) I get the ArcGIS Connection balloon at the bottom saying "ArcGIS is currently not connected to online resources"

arcgisconnection.PNG

This balloon appears as soon as I click the icon to open the application, there's no delay.  It is not hitting the firewall, and in fact when I did a network traffic trace (using Fiddler) there was no network traffic at all, so it didn't even attempt to connect.

This is only happening on my PC.  If someone else logs into my PC the same thing happens.  If I log into someone else's PC it connects as expected.

Not sure what on my PC is disallowing a connection from ArcGIS Desktop.  I have completely uninstalled ArcGIS from my PC and removed any ArcGIS or Esri folders and removed the software/Esri keys from the registry.  After reinstall it still occurred.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get this working?

Running ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Thanks,

Mike.

17 Replies
MikeLouwrens

thanks I'll take a look and let you know.

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
MikeLouwrens

Asrujit SenGupta wrote:

Have a look at some of the suggestions in this Blog:

Troubleshooting issues adding ArcGIS Online basemaps to ArcMap | Support Services Blog

Hopefully one of the suggestions may work for you.

So I followed all the instructions on that page, the very last one *might* have helped:

9. Reset Internet Explorer and make it the default browser

I reset IE and made it my default browser, and now my arcgisconnection.exe icon says Connected to ArcGIS Online as expected   However I don't use IE as my browser, can we not use another default browser and still connect?

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Glad that it helped.

Yes, you should be able to use any other Browser as your Default browser and still connect. I myself use Chrome as my default but have IE9 installed.

There are some more discussions in the comments section of that Blog (issues with IE10, some settings change, etc). Have a look at them and see if any of the suggestions helps.

Otherwise as suggested, you may have to discuss with Tech-Support for further insight on this.

0 Kudos
MikeLouwrens

thanks Asrujit SenGupta

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
MikeLouwrens

turns out it wasn't the default browser but some other IE settings getting in the way.  Sounds like IE10 might be causing a few issues for others as well.

I have followed the suggestion in one of the comments on that blog post to uncheck "Automatically Detect Settings" in IE LAN Settings and that seems to do the trick Troubleshooting issues adding ArcGIS Online basemaps to ArcMap - Comment 819 | Support Services Blog

Cheers,

Mike.

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Great. Thanks for posting back the steps that helped you.

0 Kudos
MikeLouwrens

mlou wrote:

Sounds like IE10 might be causing a few issues for others as well.

I'm fairly confident it was IE10 that was the problem.  I have installed IE11 and restarted my PC, and upon opening ArcMap it has connected to ArcGIS Online first time no problem, no errors

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
RayHarris
New Contributor

To get the the ArcGIS online to work try these steps,

Windows Start - All Programs - ArcGIS Folder/ArcGIS Administrator - Click on  "Advanced..." button next to the "Machine IDs..." button - click on "Manage Portal Connections..." - http://www.arcgis.com/ should be highlighted - click on "Connect" button.

0 Kudos