ArcGIS 10.4 for Desktop Background Geoprocessing Installation Fails

03-12-2016 12:39 PM
FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I upgraded from ArcGIS 10.3.1 to  ArcGIS 10.4. I'm having a problem with ArcGIS for Desktop

Background Geoprocessing installation. The setup wizard looks for setup files under the following location:

C:\Users\Saygins\Documents\ArcGIS 10.3.1\DesktopBackgroundGP\SetupFiles

However, the setup files are in D:\esri\BackgroundGP\DesktopBackgroundGP.  I changed the path

and tried to continue but ended up with no luck. The last error message I got said "The D:\esri\BackgroundGP\DesktopBackgroundGP\SetupFiles\setup.msi  was not a valid installation package for the product."

Please note that I uninstalled ArcGIS 10.3.1 prior to installation of ArcGIS 10.4. Have anyone encountered

such issue before ? It'd be great if you could kindly share your suggestions. Thank you.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
LaureneKoman
Occasional Contributor III

this leads to this question though, how do you know that you do have BGGP installed? 

0 Kudos
AngelaDeegan
Occasional Contributor

Because there was an “enable background geoprocessing" checkbox (which was checked) in ArcMap – which I since uninstalled. And also because my FME workspaces are failing to translate our SDE data since the addition of Attribute Rules. And per FME folks, having BGGP installed causes this problem.

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman

in your installation folder for 10.6.1, do you have a \bin64 folder?  

0 Kudos
AngelaDeegan
Occasional Contributor

There's no bin64 folder anywhere on that Server.

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman

Angela

I just installed ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 (did not add Background GP) on a clean OS machine where nothing else has ever been installed.  I also have the option to Enable Background Geoprocessing. I think that option showing is not an indication that BGGP has ever been installed on your system. 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Laurene, Angela, this is most certainly true.

The checkbox is always there even if you don't have BGGP installed. If the BGGP isn't installed, the background processing runs in 32 bit using the same Python stack as ArcMap uses. So I think Angela's FME issue may be something unrelated to BGGP.

That said, even if BGGP isn't installed, I often disable background processing unless I need it, especially if I am running into problems running a tool, disabling it sometimes helps.

LaureneKoman

As always, we appreciate you, Curtis!