Isolating rules: Topology Rules Check

03-09-2011 11:27 AM
ArcGISUser
Occasional Contributor III
We have a Cadastral Topology with 17 topology rules and it has 5 participating feature classes for the whole County.  Each feature class contains between 24,000 to 2.3 million features.  Every year I need to run and extract errors from just two of those rules ???AOI must not overlap??? and ???AOI must not have gaps??? for the whole County.  In the past, I would export the AOI layer to a new file geodatabase, create a new topology with just those two rules, validate and I would have my list of errors.  I also use the ExportErrors.dll to create a new ???error??? feature class to give to our editors for clean-up.

We want to know if Data Reviewer can help us so that I do not have to keep exporting the AOI and working off of the main database. I am currently looking at using the Data Reviewer ???Topology Rules Check??? on a test database that has the 17 topology rules implemented. Everything seemed to be going well and it seemed like what I wanted, but then I found out that I needed to validate my area before I ran the check.  I enabled the ???validate topology??? check box, but it doesn???t seem to validate just the two rules that I specified, but it would validate the whole topology, meaning all the 17 rules. (*Note, ArcMap froze when I ran the check).

I feel like I am back at square one.  I would like to get all the County-wide errors associated to only those two rules, but I want to avoid validating the whole County to do so, because trust me, it will take a long, long time???  It would also be nice to run this process using Data Reviewer so that we can keep track of editing and the QA/QC of these errors.

What are your suggestions and are any of these needs an enhancement request?

Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ArcGISUser
For "AOI Must Not Overlap" I am thinking the "Geometry on Geometry Check (Overlap)" might work well.  I need to test this out.  I am still open on thoughts and suggestions though. 🙂

Thanks.
0 Kudos
KumarBhardwaj
Occasional Contributor II
Thank you for the suggestion, Following enhancement has been logged for this request:

Bug ID : 8308
Title : "Validate Topology" option should honor the Topology rules selection in the check
0 Kudos
AmberBethell
Esri Contributor
Have you tried the Polygon Overlap\Gap is Sliver check?

This check will look for both overlaps and gaps with a single polygon layer or between two.   It has optional parameters to find only those overlaps and gaps that are long and thin or only those smaller than a specified size.  However if you leave the Thinness Ratio set to 1 and the Maximum Polygon Area set to 0 Meters, the check will find any overlaps and gaps regardless of size.
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
Have you tried the Polygon Overlap\Gap is Sliver check?

This check will look for both overlaps and gaps with a single polygon layer or between two.   It has optional parameters to find only those overlaps and gaps that are long and thin or only those smaller than a specified size.  However if you leave the Thinness Ratio set to 1 and the Maximum Polygon Area set to 0 Meters, the check will find any overlaps and gaps regardless of size.

Hello Amber,

Yes we are also looking at that rule, but the check returns some errors in areas that do not really have errors.  We set the thickness/thinness ratio to 0.1. Please see my colleague's post here: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/25361-Gap-Sliver  It is the thread underneath this one (as of 03/14/11) and it seems like there is a bug associated with this check as well.  We would like to use this check, but it seems like we are getting more invalid results than valid ones.
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
Thank you for the suggestion, Following enhancement has been logged for this request:

Bug ID : 8308
Title : "Validate Topology" option should honor the Topology rules selection in the check

Hello Kumar,

Thank you for your response.  When you logged this in as a bug instead of an enhancement request, does this mean that the Topology Rules Check is supposed to honor/validate only the topology rules that were checked on by the user?  I am just curious.

Thank you for your help!

GR
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
All enhancements are logged through the bug tracking system.  The check is working as designed in regards to validating the entire topology.  We liked your idea, but are not sure if it is possible.  We will look into it for a future release.
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
All enhancements are logged through the bug tracking system.  The check is working as designed in regards to validating the entire topology.  We liked your idea, but are not sure if it is possible.  We will look into it for a future release.

Thank you for clarifying Michelle!  Thanks and I also look forward to an enhancement.
0 Kudos