Select to view content in your preferred language

Deprecation plan for ArcGIS Data Reviewer Server extension beyond 10.9.x?

07-13-2021 03:16 PM
ljlopez
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have noticed that all the pages in the ArcGIS REST APIs documentation regarding Data Reviewer include the following note:

This resource is dependent on ArcGIS Data Reviewer’s ArcMap runtime-based server object extension (SOE). ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.x, part of the ArcGIS 2021 releases, will be the last release of ArcGIS Enterprise to support services published from ArcMap.

To prepare for this change, Esri recommends that customers consider Data Reviewer capabilities enabled using ArcGIS Pro and integrated in the Validation service.

Can you please explain this in more detail? Does it mean that Data Reviewer Server extension will be deprecated and its functionalities will be covered by the ArcGIS Pro's Data Reviewer extension in conjunction with the Validation Service?

If so, will there be any REST API allowing to run operations currently available with the Data Reviewer Server extension, such as creating validation errors (writeFeatureAsResult / writeResult) or getting the validation errors (getResults)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayCary
Esri Contributor

Hi,

The last release of the ArcMap runtime-based Server Object Extension (SOE) will be in the 2021-series of Enterprise 10.9.x releases. See this blog article for more information on the removal of the ArcMap-based runtime from ArcGIS Enterprise.

The current focus is to implement support for automated checks and error management capabilities in the Validation service. The product roadmap document provides an overview of progress on this work.

Error reporting is currently available by leveraging the error layers shared in the feature service. Would appreciate feedback (via PM or email) on how this workflow compares to those you may have implemented using the DR SOE's getResults operation (and related geometry queries).

The next focus will be to support semi-automated workflows (such as flagging missing features, marking existing features as errors) and related utilities in services. Design of these capabilities has not yet begun.

Thanks and look forward to the feedback.

ljlopez
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply, Jay.

I'm assuming the error reporting via error layers you have mentioned is what is described here, isn't it? Are they only available in ArcGIS Pro? It's not clear whether or not these error layers get a REST endpoint when shared as part of a web feature layer.

I'm afraid I cannot provide much feedback because we are not using Data Reviewer as of yet. We are just exploring the possibility of having Data Reviewer along with custom semi-automated workflows (implemented maybe with an ArcGIS Pro add-in or a JavaScript widget), so having REST endpoints allowing to read/write results would be helpful.

Can the geoprocessing tool "Write to Reviewer Table" be run on ArcGIS Enterprise with an appropriate license? If so, maybe a REST endpoint could be made available by publishing a geoprocessing service that executes that tool?

Thanks

0 Kudos