Data Reviewer: Best practices for identifying null values in attribute tables?

03-15-2011 08:10 AM
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,
I am just diving into Data Reviewer. Totally new stuff for me.

Anyway, I would like to identify null values for all of my fields in every feature class in a geodatabase. Is there an easy way to do this? I have attempted to test the "Null Values Check" in "Regular Expression Check Properties" in "Table Checks" with no success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ashley
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Use the Execute SQL check to find NULL values in fields.  You can create a check for each field you want to validate or one check that includes all fields.
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Thanks Michelle!

Is there a faster way to query than FIELD1 = 'NULL' OR FIELD2 = 'NULL' and on and on? I have dozens of fields in each feature class and over 100 feature classes.
0 Kudos
KumarBhardwaj
Occasional Contributor II
One option is to create a batch job and use Duplicate Check functionality if you have common fields in different feature classes in database or else you have to edit the individual check.

For more detail about Duplicating checks in batch job refer to the following web help URL:

Duplicating checks in batch jobs
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Duplicating_checks_in_batch_jobs/01020...
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Thanks Kumar!

Although, that may not help me so much with my null values check, that helps me immensely with the geometry checks I have to create. :cool:
0 Kudos
adineuman
New Contributor II
Hi,

I'm new with the Data Reviewer too. I use the Domain Value Check for searching for Null values. But be aware that if you have more than 20K errors, it will crash.

Adi
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
If you suspect there may be more than 20K records being returned, be sure to close the reviewer table before running the check or batch job.  That should help prevent crashes from occurring when lots of errors are being written to the Reviewer table.
0 Kudos