Web Map widget no longer allowing selection of features through selection cursor tool within widget

12-20-2021 08:33 PM
Labels (1)
TuckerTeutsch
New Contributor II

Hello Esri Community, this is my second post using this platform, so take it easy on me, but I will do my best to be detailed in my question!

I am wondering how you make a layer selectable in a web map using ArcGIS Online?

Here is my situation: For months I have been working on this project using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0 and ArcGIS Online suite (specifically using web maps and dashboards). The main part of my project is a ArcGIS Online Dashboard, which is where my problem was found. Within the dashboard I have many widgets that work/filter with the web maps widgets that I have (please do refer to the png I attached and you will see what I am talking about). The widgets can either be filtered through using a list widget (bottom left corner) or by actually making a selection using the selection cursor tool in the top left corner of the web map widget. This is where my issue arises. Before making all of the layers associated with the dashboard and the web maps within shared to the public, I could make a selection within the web map widget using the selection cursor tool as I previously described. However, after I made all of those layers shared to the public to ready the dashboard project for a public launch, the selection cursor tool will no longer work. I can no longer use the selection cursor within the web map widget to make a selection in the layers that I have opened in that map, where I could do so before. Now when I try to use the selection cursor tool to click on one of my features within my layers that are showed within the web map widget it gives me a pop-up with a message saying "No feature available", when the features are clearly there, as you can see them and click on them without the selection cursor tool being used! After heavy troubleshooting and some advice from an ArcGIS elder I was advised that this must have something to do with the select-ability of the layers or the web map. But I just cannot figure this out, I did not deliberately change any settings related to this, and all the articles and advice I am getting online have only led me to dead-ends. 

I hope that someone on here can help me with this issue, thank you ahead of time for your time and energy.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlexandraA
New Contributor II

Hi There,

I'm wondering if you ever resolved this issue. I receive the same warning. This functionality worked on a previous dashboard I had made. I re-made the dashboard with a new set of data, and now it is not working. I think I have all of the specifications the same. I would love some tips!

AndyMcClary
New Contributor III

I'm encountering a similar situation - The map selection tool is working as expected when I'm in edit mode on my dashboard but says No feature available when I attempt to use the dashboard in viewer mode. I'm logged in as the same user so I can't imagine it's a permissions issue. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

0 Kudos
AndyMcClary
New Contributor III

Never mind - It turns out that there was an extended lag between drawing the points for that layer and actually making them available for selection. If I wait 20 seconds or so after opening the dashboard everything works fine. It's a little confusing to have the points rendered on the map and showing up in popups but not available to the selection tool but it's not the end of the world. Now I just need to figure out how to keep from getting deluged with "It's broken" complaints from the users...

AlexandraA
New Contributor II

Interesting! How many features are you working with? I wonder if this is actually what's happening on my end, too. I have over a million point locations, and maybe it's just too much to be handled. That being said, I also have 1400 lines from another layer that also are not being selected. Polygons from another layer are though (but there are few polygons in that layer).

AndyMcClary
New Contributor III

Seems like that could be the problem - We only have 20,000 points in the layer and by the time I'm trying to select them they're already filtered down to ~2,000. The points also seem to be available for selection much more quickly if I apply an additional filter and get the number of points down to 50 or so. 

AlexandraA
New Contributor II

Okay interesting. This very well could be the problem (although we had 800,000 points before and that seemed to work... so I'm not sure). Hopefully, I'll get to the bottom of it. In the mean time, I'll work on thinning our data set to see if that works

0 Kudos
JosephNeville
New Contributor II

I'm having this issue on a dashboard too. What I found was that I have a category selector with a default selection that seems to be preventing the selection tool from working. 

If I change the category selector to 'None' then refresh the map, the selection tool on the map works. 

Alternatively, if I keep the category selector set to a value other than 'None', when I load the dashboard I have to select 'None' on the category selector and make a selection with the selection tool. After that the selection tool works even if I have the category selector set to a value other than 'None'. 

I'm guessing this is a bug but if anyone knows a setting change that will resolve this I'd be happy to hear it. 

AlexandraA
New Contributor II

I don't have an answer to your question specifically, but what happened in my case, I learned through communication with ESRI was that one of my Map widgets got corrupted. Here's what I heard back from them:

"

it looks like the map widget somehow was corrupted. To resolve this issue in your Dashboard, you will need to create a duplicate of your Map widget and remove the corrupted widget.

Once you have created the duplicate, you can remove the original corrupted map widget and save the changes. Just to note, because we do have to replace the map, any widgets or filters you had that fed off the original corrupted map widget, will also need to be reconfigured to work off the new map widget."

0 Kudos
miller_ma
New Contributor II

Running into same issue on a dashboard I created about 12/18. It worked on 12/30, but now (1/18) no longer works. In a fresh dashboard, adding a map, adding as serial chart, add a category selecter, filter on a 1,2,3 variable. Map select works fine if I set the filter to the serial chart only, but if I set the category selecter to filter the map, selecter no longer works. Maps showing the polygons, and I can select individual polygons, but the lasso/etc select doesn't work.