Splitting Features into Multiple Categories

12-06-2021 02:04 PM
wjbmattingly
New Contributor

Hello all,

I am new to ArcGIS and I am a bit of a bind. I am interested in mapping testimonies of violence. Each testimony can mention multiple places and cover multiple topics. I am trying to map these testimonies so that a user can use the dashboard to populate different testimonies (on the left) if they match certain categories or places (top right). (see image below)

When I load the GeoJSON file, I cannot have a feature whose property is a list. As far as I can tell from the docs, a property must be a string, number, etc. I have therefore used the "|" as a way to separate items in a list (as a string). I would like to set up my dashboard so that each category is a single place or topic and not "x|y". (I hope this makes sense).

I saw that Arcade has a Split() function that will allow me to separate these items. I cannot, however, seem to get this to work where the category are these strings split.

Guidance to a location in the docs would be very helpful,

Thanks,

W. Mattingly

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You'll need to use a Data Expression for this, which assumes the data source is a published portal item, not simply a file-based layer added to a map.

Here's a particular example expression that is very similar to what you're looking to do, that is, split a string field into multiple "features" based on some delimiter.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos