Select to view content in your preferred language

Serial chart - split by gives up when too many unique values?

06-15-2022 12:37 PM
RandyMcGregor3
Frequent Contributor

I have a dashboard that contains a chart that I want to show data for multiple locations. When I select 'split by' and pick the location id field, there is no option to show by color - all are gray. I think this is because there are too many values, but I don't mind if the same colors are recycled. Is there any way around this limit? 

This is information for 2 locations:

RandyMcGregor3_0-1655321785163.png

Thank you

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JillianStanford
Frequent Contributor

Hi Randy,

If you go to the Series tab and scroll down you can see where the colors are defined. It looks like it defines a color for the first 25 values or so, and then applies the "other" grey color. What happens if you click "Add Series" and enter one of the location IDs that's been included in the "other" category?

JillianStanford_0-1655324275967.png

Jill

0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Jillian,

I don't even get that far. No unique colors are created. I selected '+ series' doesn't have any effect, nor does, 'Load series.' I think over a certain number of unique values, it just throws in the towel. Users will only select at most 3 or 4 unique values, so all I need is a way to distinguish them. I don't expect to make 1,000+ colors distinguishable. I've hit this wall before and it's a stumper.

0 Kudos
JillianStanford
Frequent Contributor

Okay, I got this to work but it's really finicky -

If I choose the Split By field first, then the Category, then the Statistic, I get the grey symbology.

JillianStanford_1-1655400164037.png

If I fill out the drop downs in a different order - Category, Split By and then Statistic, I get the correct symbology.

JillianStanford_0-1655400123527.png

This of course should not matter but does that work for you?

0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3
Frequent Contributor

I really appreciate it, but alas, that didn't do it. I tried both orders and gray both times. I can change the color and I've done that. (Gray is just so boring) I am trying to allow the user to compare multiple locations and I have over 1,000 locations. I think I've hit a wall. I'm going to see if I can label the lines.

0 Kudos