Selecting points from live data?

07-08-2021 10:51 AM
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I am pulling a live point data feature from ArcGIS Online into a dashboard for querying information. Is there a way or feature present that allows the user to select a single or multiple points from what the map is showing? For example, on ESRI's main landing side for dashboards this graphic is shown. Is there a way to select on the map pane the points shown not using indicators or the bar graphics, but by using the select option seen in in grey in the upper left of the map? This historically only selects layer boundaries or polygons from my experience.

Second point, would this selection be a part of the new export feature coming to Dashboards? This would be fantastic!

Many thanks & God bless 😄ESRI Website for DashboardsESRI Website for Dashboards

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Without testing this, I think this might be able to achieve this by doing one of the following options to make this live feature selectable:

1. copy the REST endpoint URL of the live layer and then add it as an item to your content in ArcGIS online then add it as a layer to your dashboard....

OR

2. Download this feature, load it into a file geodatabase, then publish it as a feature service.  This would require some geoprocessing automation to update the feature, but it would then be an actual selectable feature in your dashboard.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
GIS_Fox

Hi @ABishop , I've already gone ahead and used option one but it still does not allow the selection. You can open pop-ups and select individual points, however I am trying to use the select by rectangle, polygon, and other options that can be used within Dashboards. The second option is how the points are loaded from third party. Currently the selector on dashboards only selects polygons from what I have found. Between lines and polygons, whether live fed data or not, I would hope this would be possible but am not sure.

Thanks for the suggestions though, best regards,

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

You're welcome @GIS_Fox !  It was worth the try.  Maybe you could submit your idea to the ideas section of GeoNet?   I am sure it would be a viable option given the resource.  Good luck with your future endeavors!

Amanda Bishop, GISP
GIS_Fox

Hi @ABishop , thank you! If there's not a solution here I will definitely send it over to the ideas section. You as well!

0 Kudos