Select to view content in your preferred language

Same dashboard with custom view based on user

02-02-2023 11:09 PM
jauhari_mani
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
I am trying to customize (Hide some layers or filter data) based on user who is accessing it in ArcGIS Dashboard.

I have developed a dashboard with multiple layers I want some layers visible to limited users.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Access in ArcGIS Online is controlled through sharing settings: Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation. To share a Feature Service or other object with a subset of users you create a group and share the content with that group. In your case, you would create several groups and share content accordingly. 

If all the layers are coming from one single feature service you can create hosted feature layer views to manage access at a more granular level.

When it comes to the dashboard, the right way to do it is to create different dashboards for each user group. If you share the dashboard with all users, but limit the access to feature services to certain users, users will get some kind of error message when they try to open the dashboard if they do not have access to all data that is included.

0 Kudos
jauhari_mani
Occasional Contributor

Hi @AndreasHall,

So, if I create views, I have to create custom views based on user viewing it.

I was working with arcade expression in ArcGIS dashboard as I have a field with username in my record, so I am matching the login user with column in data of my layer and filtering the list.

What issue now I have is I only get those points visible when I select them in the list, I want to get all the points in list to be visible on layer but only points that are there in list and remove the mandatory need of selection of points to get them visible.

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

I do not think you can achieve that with Arcade in ArcGIS Dashboards but it is not my area of expertise so it might still be possible.

0 Kudos
jauhari_mani
Occasional Contributor

Hi @AndreasHall,

That was not possible with arcade also as we can filter list through arcade but cannot filter layer of map based on that.
One last thing that I wanted to ask is Custom view possible through web app builder?

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

There is no separate functionality within Web AppBuilder to create different views to different users.

0 Kudos