Restrict Widget Edits

Jump to solution
12-30-2015 09:26 AM
TiffanySelvidge1
Occasional Contributor III

Does anyone know a method to restrict editing on the widgets? The operations dashboard I am developing will be used by multiple people. I do not want everyone to be able to make changes to the widget configurations. Run queries, use the filters and re-arrange widget locations are all fine but changes to the configurations are not.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If a user makes a change to a widget, they will just need to close and reopen the Dashboard to revert all the changes they made.  If they do 'Save' their changes, there are saving a copy of the dashboard.  They can still open the original dashboard you created.  Think of the dashboard as a web map you created.  If you share this web map with me, I can make any changes I'd like (i.e. add additional layers, apply filters, etc), but I can only save a copy of this web map.  I cannot save changes directly to the web map you created.

Also, if the user is only a 'Viewer' in the ArcGIS Online Organization, they will not have the ability to edit widgets and save a copy of their edits.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Tiffany,

A publisher or administrator that has access to the Operations Dashboard will have the ability to edit/remove/add widgets, but they will be unable to save and overwrite that specific dashboard.  When the user clicks Save, they will be able to save a copy of the changes they made to their content.  The original dashboard will be unaffected.

TiffanySelvidge1

Then there is no method to have the Dashboard view and run queries only? I am thinking about when people make a change to a widget, can't fix it back or make the change workable and then I will be the one in charge of repairing the widget so they can view what needs to be viewed.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

If a user makes a change to a widget, they will just need to close and reopen the Dashboard to revert all the changes they made.  If they do 'Save' their changes, there are saving a copy of the dashboard.  They can still open the original dashboard you created.  Think of the dashboard as a web map you created.  If you share this web map with me, I can make any changes I'd like (i.e. add additional layers, apply filters, etc), but I can only save a copy of this web map.  I cannot save changes directly to the web map you created.

Also, if the user is only a 'Viewer' in the ArcGIS Online Organization, they will not have the ability to edit widgets and save a copy of their edits.

TiffanySelvidge1

Excellent, that sounds good. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos