Ops Dashboard Token Expiration

12-16-2019 07:13 AM
BrianWilson3
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone had any luck getting ESRI to fix the token timeout issue with OpsDashboard and IWA/Portal?   I opened a ticket back in August and have yet to get a resolution.

Environemnt:

Portal 10.7.1, IWA auth, Operations Dashboard web client.

Behavior:

Initially SSO works and the dashboard comes up, after exactly 30 minutes the token expires and the app prompts for auth.  If i signin, it prompts multiple times for sign in and eventually lets you through.  

I have been able to temporarily "fix" the issue by added a meta refresh tag at 25 minutes into the Ops Dashboard HTML.

My original Bug number was #BUG-000124152 which was marked as "Not in Current Product Plan" in early December. In the case it mentioned that i was actually experiencing #BUG-000127276, which BTW was resolved in 10.7?  

I am still experiencing the issue but have reopened the case.  This seems very similar to the token timeout that WAB was seeing in 10.6/10.6.1 which was resolved in 10.7.  It would be great if someone from ESRI would reach out to atleast a few people affected by these bugs and ask if it was resolved.

The original thread where this was first mentioned was here https://community.esri.com/message/897492-re-wab-token-expiration .  

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JohnSolly4
Esri Contributor

Hey Brian!

I took a look at both those bugs (BUG-000124152, BUG-000127276) and it looks like there were some issues with this across several applications, not just Operations Dashboard.

The bug I am following with regard to Dashboard is BUG-000126844. We (The Dashboard team) have a fix, but it will go into 10.8.1 with no plans to hotfix/patch older versions of Enterprise. This bug affected IWA, PKI, and SAML authenticated environments (Web Tier).

Once we have finished testing the fix,  BUG-000126844 will be closed. 

These other Web Tier Authentication bugs have also been fixed and are planned to go into 10.8.1

BUG-000126814

BUG-000126162

Hope that answers your questions!

0 Kudos
BrianWilson3
Occasional Contributor

Excellent, thank you John. I will give my current case worker the bug you've provided.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Kudos
BrianWilson3
Occasional Contributor

John,

Looking at the bug you referenced I dont see the same behavior I am experiencing noted. Ours will log in just fine initially, after 30 minutes it prompts for auth when it shouldn't being iwa and sso. Can you confirm you have seen this behavior and it's fixed in the 10.8.1? I want to make sure its documented and fixed so it is resolved in 10.8.1.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
JohnSolly4
Esri Contributor

Hey Brian. There is also this issue, BUG-000126814 that will be fixed in 10.8.1. That one specifically mentions the 30 min time window + sign in prompt.

"In Portal for ArcGIS configured with IWA, Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS using a web map with a refresh interval greater than 30 minutes configured for a layer results in an authentication prompt after the expiration of the refresh interval."

I am pretty certain that the fix we put in should address what you are seeing. There was a bug that caused several side effects causing the waterfall of IWA issues. Basically, all of these issues have the same root cause.

0 Kudos
BrianWilson3
Occasional Contributor

Excellent, thank you john. I look forward to 10.8.1

0 Kudos
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

Hi John,

Any idea when 10.8.1 might be released? I assume the pattern is 10.8.0 in Q1 2020 and then 10.8.1 around the Esri UC time in summer?

0 Kudos
BrianWilson3
Occasional Contributor

I would also like to know when 10.8.1 will be available.

0 Kudos
TomManson
New Contributor III

Hi Brian,

I'm experiencing the same issue in 10.7.1, and John Solly (with Derek Law) kindly pointed me in this thread's direction. Since 10.8.1 is some way off, are you able to share your 'fix' please?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

0 Kudos
BrianWilson3
Occasional Contributor

Sure Tom.  I must warn you though, i'm sure ESRI frowns upon editing the base code of their widgets. I always create a backup copy of the file prior to editing anything in the Portal file system.  

On your Portal server, navigate to Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\apps\opsdashboard this folder.  

Make a backup copy of the index.html file.

edit the original index.html file

in the head section, add this meta refresh tag, i grouped it in with the rest of the metas.  

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1200">

Save the file, clear your browser cache and give it a try.  

1200 second refresh equals 20 minutes.  Even though the app crashes at 30 minutes, i was still seeing some issues with the refresh at 25 minutes.  This tag will just refresh the entire page and grab a fresh token every 20 minutes.  As our dashboards are crucial to operations here and are displayed on our video wall, having to F5 the dashboard every 30 minutes wasn't an option.  

Hope this helps.