Operations Dashboard with coded values

Jump to solution
05-23-2017 08:49 AM
AliBarakat
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to create a new dashboard with charts to show the count of plots based on their types.

The field type is using coded value so my charts are showing type using number.

example: Type = 1, type = 2

what can i do to show the text field and not the coded value?

Thank you

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ali,

I believe this is a known limitation: that web maps can only display coded values and not their descriptions.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AliBarakat
0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Ali,

What is the data source that you're trying to display the coded value descriptions for? Are they layers in a web map, or some other data source? If they are layers in a web map, can you display the coded values in a pop-up when viewing it in the ArcGIS Online map viewer?

0 Kudos
AliBarakat

Hi Derek,

Yes im using layers in a webmap reading from a feature service.

if i open this feature class in ArcMap it is normal that the correct values are showing and not the coded values.

however in the webmap, in the popup and in the attribute table, it is showing numbers instead.

should i do anything in arcmap or in webmap to avoid this?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Ali,

I believe this is a known limitation: that web maps can only display coded values and not their descriptions.

Hope this helps,

DougWood
New Contributor II

Hi Derek,

Is there a way to translate those coded values into the descriptions, a workaround perhaps? The pop-up boxes, detailed lists, and queries within Operations Dashboard all show the descriptions - why can't those descriptions also be included in the summary report and export to CSV widgets/functions?

Providing a solution to this known limitation would dramatically increase the reporting functionality of Operations Dashboard, particularly for non-GIS and non-tech savvy decision makers within my organization.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Doug,

Unfortunately, I don't have a workaround for you. Sorry. However, in case you were not aware: Esri is currently working on the next generation Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS app - and it is available as part of your ArcGIS Online organization.

Author stunning dashboards in your browser with Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog 

You can learn more about this app from the Esri Early Adopter site, https://earlyadopter.esri.com 

I encourage you to participate and provide your feedback in the early adopter community - so the Dev team can hear your requirement(s) for improving the app.

Hope this helps,

DelaereMickael

Hello,

The problem has not been resolved yet?

I have got the same issue.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Delaere,

Yes, this is still a known limitation in ArcGIS Online.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
CatalinaGuti
New Contributor

Is this still a known limitation?