Most Recent Feature in Indicator Widget

Jump to solution
01-23-2020 07:13 AM
BenSperry
New Contributor II

Is there a way to show the most recent feature in an indicator. Currently the only way I can see to do this is to set a filter for the exact range of the most recent feature, if the most recent feature slips out of range than it shows no data, if I try to extend the range I capture previous values, if I limit the returned values to one than it only show the first feature in that range; not the last.

I have a dashboard where data are updated at irregular intervals so I need to show the most recent feature to avoid the "No Data" message which is not very helpful to those using the dashboard.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidNyenhuis1
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

To achieve this, Sort By a date field (e.g., last edited) in descending order. Then, set Maximum Features Displayed to 1. It will only display the newest feature. See this blog post for more info.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidNyenhuis1
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

To achieve this, Sort By a date field (e.g., last edited) in descending order. Then, set Maximum Features Displayed to 1. It will only display the newest feature. See this blog post for more info.

BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you David, that was the perfect answer and thank you for sharing the dashboard it helped me with a few other problems I have been having.

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David, 

Your blog post is really great and helpful! 

Can you maybe point me to a way how I make use of the "Previous Value" reference setting? I managed now to show the latest value as my main Indicator but I would like to use the previous day as a reference. When I use "Previous Value" as a reference it only shows me the same value as my main Indicator. 

(see also my posting here: https://community.esri.com/thread/241188-how-to-organize-data-to-be-displayed-as-indicator-in-an-ope... )

0 Kudos
DavidNyenhuis1
Esri Contributor

Hi Nicole,

The previous value concept is based on refreshing data, what the statistic was before its current value while the dashboard is open. As you noted in the linked issue, using a filter to return the correct date range of your data is often a more effective way to utilize the Reference concept.

Dave

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks David, I think I will need some more practise 🙂

0 Kudos