map layer not appearing as target for actions

Jump to solution
11-14-2021 06:23 PM
Labels (1)
BradSkopyk
New Contributor III

I am building a dashboard with a map that I want to respond to a date selector widget and to restraints applied to the data in the serial chart. Map layers do not appear as possible targets for actions from the widgets. This worked in a previous iteration of the dashboard when I had a map with a 'Feature Layer (hosted)'.

It no longer works after we moved the data to an Enterprise geodatabase and the dashboard to an enterprise portal, and created a Data Store registered with the server, thus creating feature layers that reference the data instead of copying the data. These layers do not appear as possible targets in the actions of other widgets.

Is it possible to use a map layer from a registered data store as a target in a widget action? If so, how can I do this?

Thanks for your help.

Brad 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jing_Sun
Esri Contributor

I think enabling the Feature Access capability will create a Feature Service having the exact same name as the Map Service. When you search for the layer name to add layers to a map, you will see two layers with identical names but different layer types, would need to select the Feature Service layer for it to work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jing_Sun
Esri Contributor

Hi Brad, I suggest having a look at the type of the layers used in the map for the dashboard. It could be that the map is using Map Services instead of Feature Services.

When publishing a map layer to Portal using the referenced method, the layer will normally be published as a Map Service. Enabling the Feature Access capability of this Map Service (in the Server Manager) will create a Feature Service which can then be used for Web Apps and Dashboards.

0 Kudos
BradSkopyk
New Contributor III

Thank you for your help. You are correct that the layers are Map Services. However, I checked Capabilities in the Service Manager, and the map layers have Feature Access enabled. As a test, I copied the data for the non-operable map layer and discovered that it appeared as a possible target. The referenced data, however, does not. 

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Jing_Sun
Esri Contributor

I think enabling the Feature Access capability will create a Feature Service having the exact same name as the Map Service. When you search for the layer name to add layers to a map, you will see two layers with identical names but different layer types, would need to select the Feature Service layer for it to work.

0 Kudos