Lock map to extent?

Jump to solution
12-05-2019 03:34 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

I would like a map within my dashboard to be locked to its default extent.  I do not want users to pan or zoom.  Is there any way that can be accomplished in  Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS‌?

Thank you,

--Adam

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AdamRepsher

Derek Law wrote:

Hi Adam,

Edit: Can you please also describe your use case/workflow on why you want this functionality?

Yes.

Two reasons:

• The map is a small part of this dashboard, displaying a simple statewide, county-based choropleth map.  Selection of a county generates the population of different statistics in many other elements.  Not allowing the map to move allows me to NOT have to think about instruction to the user if they pan or zoom by mistake.  It might seem very petty, but I have many people who need to have instructions for everything.  It must be as simple as I can make it and still have the functionality that is required.  There is no need to pan or zoom, so why enable it?
  • The map contains many complex, overlapping polygons that require a lot of time to load.  Once loaded, they are cached.  If the map pans or zooms, the map must load again.  In its default extent, the user is able to see the results of removing various polygons at a statewide level, and no map movement is required.  I need this for a working group that is studying various combinations of RF footprints in a statewide, multiband, P25 land mobile radio system to create coverage classes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

--Adam

View solution in original post

AdamRepsher

Enhancement request has been submitted:  

https://community.esri.com/ideas/17721 

Please stop by and vote this one up!

Thanks!

ADMINCITYCARE
New Contributor

Hi @DerekLaw, was this enhancement request accepted and finalised? It would be a tool very useful to enhance the UX of front users. I am in need of using this tool to create a dashboard to be shared within my organisation and clients. Regards.

7 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adam,

> I would like a map within my dashboard to be locked to its default extent.  I do not want users to pan or zoom.

This is not possible in Ops Dashboard at this time. Please submit an enhancement in the ArcGIS Ideas for Ops Dashboard site.

Edit: Can you please also describe your use case/workflow on why you want this functionality?

Hope this helps,

AdamRepsher

Derek Law wrote:

Hi Adam,

Edit: Can you please also describe your use case/workflow on why you want this functionality?

Yes.

Two reasons:

• The map is a small part of this dashboard, displaying a simple statewide, county-based choropleth map.  Selection of a county generates the population of different statistics in many other elements.  Not allowing the map to move allows me to NOT have to think about instruction to the user if they pan or zoom by mistake.  It might seem very petty, but I have many people who need to have instructions for everything.  It must be as simple as I can make it and still have the functionality that is required.  There is no need to pan or zoom, so why enable it?
  • The map contains many complex, overlapping polygons that require a lot of time to load.  Once loaded, they are cached.  If the map pans or zooms, the map must load again.  In its default extent, the user is able to see the results of removing various polygons at a statewide level, and no map movement is required.  I need this for a working group that is studying various combinations of RF footprints in a statewide, multiband, P25 land mobile radio system to create coverage classes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

--Adam

DerekLaw

Hi Adam,

Belated thanks for your use case details and submitting the enhancement request.

ADMINCITYCARE
New Contributor

Hi @DerekLaw, was this enhancement request accepted and finalised? It would be a tool very useful to enhance the UX of front users. I am in need of using this tool to create a dashboard to be shared within my organisation and clients. Regards.

DerekLaw

Hi @ADMINCITYCARE,

> ... was this enhancement request accepted and finalised? 

Sorry, this enhancement is still being considered by the development team. If you have additional comments about the feature, or specific use cases or workflows - please share them. Or post on this idea,

All feedback provides the Dev team with more context and helps them better understand the requirement.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher

Enhancement request has been submitted:  

Please stop by and vote this one up!

Thanks!

SanneMikkelsen
Occasional Contributor

Has this one been solved? When I try to jump to solution, i get nowhere...;-)

0 Kudos