Select to view content in your preferred language

Including field value in dashboard element title

Jump to solution
05-13-2024 02:44 PM
Labels (1)
JimMiller3
New Contributor III

I noticed that the latest Dashboard update increased the ability to insert dynamic text in the the title and description of an element.

Does the enhanced functionality include field values, i.e. {field/field_name} ?

I have indicator, pie chart and table elements that are controlled by a category selector of county names. I'd like the selected county name to be part of the title in each element so viewers would be clear what they're looking at.

I don't see a way to do that. With the "Insert {}" button, I'm able to insert Language, Time Zone, and other dynamic text, but there are no field value options.

Am I missing something, or is there a workaround? The indicator is a statistic value type, the pie chart has categories from grouped values, and the table is feature type. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

That is not an option. Those elements are a collection of many records with any number of values for the attributes in your data. How would it know which specific record to pull the field value from in that situation? 

You can however cheat and use a single value list to make a faux title. It's a lot to throw in a response, so I wrote out the steps and some considerations in its own blog post: Dashboards That Pop: Dynamic Element Titles

Faux TitlesFaux Titles

- Jen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

That is not an option. Those elements are a collection of many records with any number of values for the attributes in your data. How would it know which specific record to pull the field value from in that situation? 

You can however cheat and use a single value list to make a faux title. It's a lot to throw in a response, so I wrote out the steps and some considerations in its own blog post: Dashboards That Pop: Dynamic Element Titles

Faux TitlesFaux Titles

- Jen
0 Kudos
JimMiller3
New Contributor III

Thank you very much @JenniferAcunto for the reply and the blog post. Creating a faux title list element and grouping it with each of the elements for which I seek dynamic text in the title gets me to what I'd like to do.

I follow your explanation about why people can’t add a dynamic field from their data into the title sections of their elements. In my use case, the dashboard category selector has the None option turned off. So the selector defaults to the first county_name value (Alameda County in this case.) All the data filters as such, with multiple records for each county_name. I understand that inserting something like {field/county_name[0]} for the title isn't an option, but that's how I think of it.

0 Kudos