How to get the top (n) results in a chart?

05-06-2018 08:36 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all.

I have been able to create a simple bar graph (serial chart) in the Ops Dashboard in ArcGIS Online.

The data table I am referencing has a field with many different values, i.e. hundreds of them. I want my chart to only display the top ten or so results.

Does anyone know how I might do that?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

For the Serial Chart element, you can configure it to show to "top N" values for a field, by specifying the maximum categories property. For example, in the screen capture below - the serial chart is showing station ID values on the x-axis (category field), with their mercury levels on the y-axis (series 1 field). The mercury levels are sorted in descending order, with the maximum categories property set to 10 - so the chart is displaying the top 10 stations with the highest mercury levels in descending order.

Hope this helps,

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Derek

Thanks for the reply.

This is close, but not quite for what I need. I see from your screenshot that you have selected 'Features' as the 'Categories From' option. This allows you to choose a 'Category Field', which for me is a field called 'detail' which contains text strings. Now it asks for a 'Series 1 Field', which it requires to be a numeric field. This is where it doesn't work.

I want to use 'Grouped Values' to display a Count statistic based on my 'detail' string field. Doing this gives me a bar graph of all the values in that field. But if I use Grouped Values then there is no 'Maximum Categories' option, so the bar graph is kind of unreadable. I have inserted a screenshot below to help understand - it's a typical graph with a long tail...

Am I missing something here?

bar graph

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Paul,

The functionality you're looking for is not currently possible in Operations Dashboard. This is a good enhancement request. Can you please post this in the ArcGIS Ideas forum?

Hope this helps,

BrainsREBrainsRE
New Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem. When I publish my Operation Dashboard in a Esri Portal Account with credits, I can select my "Top X" sum grouped values, but If I publish the same Dashboard in my own Portal with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 there is no 'Maximum Categories' option. Why is this difference?

I've just post the same question here with de screenshot.

https://community.esri.com/message/847492-differences-between-our-dashboard-portal-and-an-esri-dashb...

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Aura,

Please see my reply in your other thread,

https://community.esri.com/thread/232631-differences-between-our-dashboard-portal-and-an-esri-dashbo... 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos