How can I configure a dashboard to reflect information from multiple layers?

02-26-2020 09:41 AM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to create a dashboard display that will reflect data summarized from multiple input layers. I know this has been discussed before and is mentioned in this idea and this post, but I have not been able to find a solution for my particular situation.

We have county parcel data and record information in various fields that we have added to the layer. Each county is a separate layer within and Enterprise gdb. We want to keep each county in a separate layer rather than merge all the counties for a state into one layer. However, we want to be able to have a single dashboard for a state that will display information for all counties within the state. (for example, a "Details" dashboard element showing the attribute information for any feature in the map, regardless of the layer it's in, as long as it satisfies a certain query). 

I'm not sure if there is something I could do with Query Layers or some other functionality within the SQL database that I'm just not understanding yet. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear. Thank you so much!

Cheers,

Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
5 Replies
michael_vetter
Occasional Contributor

Katherine,

You might be able to create a view of the database that has a query for a state. You could also merge the counties within ArcGIS Online, but it will consume credits and won't update as the layers update. As for Operations Dashboard, all the data has to be in one layer in order to display it in a "Details" element. All the dashboard elements seem to only accept one layer.

Here are links to creating view and merging layers:

Views in Database

ArcGIS Online Merge Layers

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response, Michael! Merging the counties is not an option since we need the data to be dynamic, but I will look into the database views that you suggested. I appreciate the insight! 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
GayleNeufeld
Occasional Contributor

Michael,

I've got all of my data coming from a view in a database as a query layer.  My concern is that when we update the database, if I have to export the data from the view as a query layer I'll have to add the data to the dashboard again, essentially remaking it.  I haven't found any documentation on updating query layers for Operations Dashboard.  Do you know of any, or do you have insight into this?  T

Thanks,

Gayle

0 Kudos
michael_vetter
Occasional Contributor

Gayle,

How are you adding the query layer into the dashboard? If the query layer is like a map or feature service then if you overwrite the query layer, it should update automatically in the dashboard and you won't need to add the data again.

0 Kudos
GayleNeufeld
Occasional Contributor

Thank you!  I'm adding it as a feature service.  

0 Kudos