Feature service cannot be opened by dashboard

01-17-2014 01:50 PM
DebraVian
New Contributor III
Hello,

I have an urgent problem.  I create a feature service hosted by AGOL, MyFeatureService.  I create an AGOL web map and add the service, MyWebMap.  The web map works fine. Next, I create a new dashboard and add the web map.  I get the following message:

"The following map layers could not be opened for the map 'MyWebMap': MyFeatureService"

Organization Settings
Allow access to the organization through SSL only. CHECKED ON.
Allow only standard SQL queries. CHECKED OFF.

I am suspecting that this is an SSL problem.  Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TifPun
by
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Debra,

When you created the feature service and the webmap, was SSL on or off?

I was trying to reproduce the issue using the following steps:
1. I created a feature service in AGOL and added it to a webmap when SSL was off
2. I then turned on SSL
3. I then started Dashboard, and added the webmap with the feature service to an op. view
4. I was first prompted to login, and when I signed in, it failed and I saw the message that you mentioned ("The following map layers could not be opened for the map 'MyWebMap': MyFeatureService").

When checking Fiddler, the error was caused by a 403 SSL Required exception.

If that is the issue that you encountered, a possible workaround would be:
1. Open the webmap in the map viewer
2. Re-add the service using https://
3. Save the map again.
Then when you add the map to Dashboard again, the map should open fine.

Please let me know if that helps or you have other questions,

Tif
0 Kudos
DebraVian
New Contributor III
Please note that we have opened a support ticket with ESRI for this problem.  I ran Fiddler to debug.  Now we are working with our internal security group.

When you say "SSL on or off", you are referring to security settings under My Organization > Edit Settings > Security,
CHECK ON "Allow access to the organization through SSL only."   Correct?

If yes, then my answer is:  SSL was checked ON when I created the feature services and the web map.

Also, when I view the details of the web map I see all the layers with https:// except the AGOL base map. 

Just now I went through the exercise of creating a new feature service, adding it to a new map.  The map works.  Same error in dashboard. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
TifPun
by
Occasional Contributor II
Thanks for the information. Yes I was referring to the org's "Allow access to the organization through SSL only." setting. But if you have already turned the setting on while you published the service/map, it's likely your issue is different from the one I described previously. Could you please check a couple more places so we can get a better idea:

1. When you try to open the web map in Dashboard, are you prompted to sign in to access the service?

2. When opening the map, could you check Fiddler and see if any error is returned after the request to the feature service is issued? It could be something like a 403 error as shown below:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30793[/ATTACH]

2 If you create a feature service and a map with SSL off, and when you open the map in Dashboard (keep the SSL setting off), do you still run into the same issue?

3. Are you able to add the service in question as an external data source using its url?

Answers to the above questions should be helpful to the Support Analyst in tracking down the problem, meanwhile if you have other questions please let me know.

Thanks

Tif
0 Kudos
DebraVian
New Contributor III
Resolved.  Arcgis.com was added to the Decryption Passthrough policy on the firewall.

Note that the error message being thrown by our server was suppressed by Dashboard.  Dashboard simply responded by saying that the feature service was invalid.  We ran Fiddler to find the error.

Thank you.
0 Kudos