Distinct Category Selector in Dashboard, grouped values vs features

07-19-2021 04:02 PM
Labels (1)
BenjaminBlackshear
New Contributor III

I'm using Dashboards in ArcGIS online and have 2 datasets that I am trying to use to filter each other in a dashboard.

One is a set of polygons that are locations surveyed periodically for specific species, the other is a point layer of species observations. There is no relationship class between them but they have a shared field for the name of the location.

I want to use a category selector to choose a species and for that to filter the map to show only the locations where that species has been observed.

If I use the category selector with the observation data and choose the grouped values option and group based on species, I get the list I want for the selector, distinct species, but under actions I am only able to filter other layers by the species, when I want to filter them by location.

If I use the category selector with the observation data and choose the features option, I can filter other layers using the location field, but the list of species displayed in the category selector is not distinct since it is one per observation record.

I tried using a data expression to create a featureset of distinct species and locations but that still leads to duplicate values in the selector since one species can be observed in multiple areas.

What i am looking for is something in between the options offered by the grouped values and features options in the category selector, where I can select a species from a distinct list and that will filter the map to show all locations where that species has been observed. Is this possible in dashboards?

0 Kudos
0 Replies