Differences between Operations Dashboard windows application and ArcGIS Online Operations Dashboard

Jump to solution
02-08-2018 10:01 AM
Cristian_Galindo
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying the capabilities of the Operations Dashboard for windows (ODW), it connects to my ArcGIS Online account and save the configuration created in my content.

Also I take the opportunity to design a dashboard directly form ArcGIS Online and save it. I notice that the dashboard created with the ODW, is recognized by ArcGIS Online as an Operation View, in other hand the dashboard created using ArcGIS Online is recognized as a Dashboard object.

Additional to that, I notice several widget differences.

So, my question is:

Are these two different not related products?

How is the life cycle of the ODW? will be deprecated soon?

How does this two artifacts affect my credits consumption ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Cristan,

Great questions! Let me address each one here:

1. Are these two different not related products?

No. They are the same product (hence they have the same name of "Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS"). The primary feedback from our customers that were using the Windows app and creating operation views is that they wanted a wholly web-centric experience. So, we have evolved Operations Dashboard so that it is now a configurable web app that is just included within ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise. We have taken the time to build a new experience for it and as such we have a new storage model for a Dashboard called a "Dashboard item".

2. How is the life cycle of the ODW? will be deprecated soon?

The Windows app is now in a mature state. The Product Life Cycle document on our support site has not yet been updated (this is a work in progress and will be updated soon). As such, you can still continue to use the Windows app and the operation views that you create with it, but we will no longer be certifying Operation Views and the Windows app with updates to ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise. I would strongly encourage you to start building Dashboard items instead of Operation Views now. If you encounter challenges or limitations, please post them to this GeoNet channel. Our team watches this closely and we really want to hear from you. Likewise, if you want to share what you have created, we want to see that too!

3. How does this two artifacts affect my credits consumption?

Operations Dashboard (neither the Windows app or the Web apps) require credits. Both are included with your ArcGIS organization. However, if you are using premium content within the applications, the content itself may consume credits. Please refer to this document for details on credit consumption.

I will update this thread when we have officially update the Product Life Cycle support page as well.

Thank you,

Jeff

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Cristan,

Great questions! Let me address each one here:

1. Are these two different not related products?

No. They are the same product (hence they have the same name of "Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS"). The primary feedback from our customers that were using the Windows app and creating operation views is that they wanted a wholly web-centric experience. So, we have evolved Operations Dashboard so that it is now a configurable web app that is just included within ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise. We have taken the time to build a new experience for it and as such we have a new storage model for a Dashboard called a "Dashboard item".

2. How is the life cycle of the ODW? will be deprecated soon?

The Windows app is now in a mature state. The Product Life Cycle document on our support site has not yet been updated (this is a work in progress and will be updated soon). As such, you can still continue to use the Windows app and the operation views that you create with it, but we will no longer be certifying Operation Views and the Windows app with updates to ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise. I would strongly encourage you to start building Dashboard items instead of Operation Views now. If you encounter challenges or limitations, please post them to this GeoNet channel. Our team watches this closely and we really want to hear from you. Likewise, if you want to share what you have created, we want to see that too!

3. How does this two artifacts affect my credits consumption?

Operations Dashboard (neither the Windows app or the Web apps) require credits. Both are included with your ArcGIS organization. However, if you are using premium content within the applications, the content itself may consume credits. Please refer to this document for details on credit consumption.

I will update this thread when we have officially update the Product Life Cycle support page as well.

Thank you,

Jeff

AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Does Operations Dashboard (ArcGIS Online) have an app or is it have to be use on the internet website? Please advise. Thank you!

0 Kudos