Changing colors in a list based on survey answer

Jump to solution
03-02-2022 08:54 AM
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I have a survey that is completed to survey building conditions.

In my dashboard I would like to change color based on a negative or positive answer.  

I asked this question before and thought it worked until I got more complicated. Please don't get irate, I am asking again so new people see it.

Below is a copy of my code.  The null is for those questions that are not answered. I thought that may be an issue so in the test survey questions I added an answer.

RobertBorchert_0-1646239737768.png

RobertBorchert_1-1646239841304.pngBut here are the results.  The first 2 yes answers are red. The first No answer should be blue (in the final result they will be black).  Then it changes everything back to red for the next Yes answer. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In Arcade, as soon as your expression encounters a return, it stops. So the way this is written, your FOUNDATIONSPALLING field is not going to get evaluated at all.

A note on ifs: when your subsequent conditions are related, they should be chained together with else statements. Otherwise your expression will check every condition, regardless of whether it already matched a preceding condition (unless, of course, that condition ended early with a return statment).

You might write that as:

var c = $datapoint['FOUNDATIONCRACKING']

if(c == 'Yes'){
    return {textColor:red}
} else if(c == 'No'){
    return {textColor:blue}
} else {
    return {textcolor:black}
}

But if I'm understanding this correctly, you want each line to have its own color? The textColor:<some color> property is going to apply to the whole list item. If you want to get each line colored separately, you'll need to make use of the attributes property and pipe the values into the HTML.

Also, since we need two separate values in a single return, I am going to use Decode to create a variable for each color. I'm also using a custom function so that I don't have to write everything twice. Here's what it looks like:

var s = $datapoint['FOUNDATIONSPALLING']

function colorCode(x){
    return Decode(
        x,
        'Yes', 'Red',
        'No', 'Blue',
        'Black'
    )
}

return {
   attributes: {
    c_col: colorCode(c),
    s_col: colorCode(s)
   }
}

Then in my Line item template, I open up the source and edit the HTML as follows:

<p style="color:{expression/c_col}">Foundation Cracking: {FOUNDATIONCRACKING}</p>

<p style="color:{expression/s_col}">Foundation Spalling: {FOUNDATIONSPALLING}</p>

Which yields the following list:

jcarlson_0-1646243285305.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In Arcade, as soon as your expression encounters a return, it stops. So the way this is written, your FOUNDATIONSPALLING field is not going to get evaluated at all.

A note on ifs: when your subsequent conditions are related, they should be chained together with else statements. Otherwise your expression will check every condition, regardless of whether it already matched a preceding condition (unless, of course, that condition ended early with a return statment).

You might write that as:

if(c == 'Yes'){
    return {textColor:red}
} else if(c == 'No'){
    return {textColor:blue}
} else {
    return {textcolor:black}
}

But if I'm understanding this correctly, you want each line to have its own color? The textColor:<some color> property is going to apply to the whole list item. If you want to get each line colored separately, you'll need to make use of the attributes property and pipe the values into the HTML.

Also, since we need two separate values in a single return, I am going to use Decode to create a variable for each color. I'm also using a custom function so that I don't have to write everything twice. Here's what it looks like:

var s = $datapoint['FOUNDATIONSPALLING']

function colorCode(x){
    return Decode(
        x,
        'Yes', 'Red',
        'No', 'Blue',
        'Black'
    )
}

return {
   attributes: {
    c_col: colorCode(c),
    s_col: colorCode(s)
   }
}

Then in my Line item template, I open up the source and edit the HTML as follows:

<p style="color:{expression/c_col}">Foundation Cracking: {FOUNDATIONCRACKING}</p>

<p style="color:{expression/s_col}">Foundation Spalling: {FOUNDATIONSPALLING}</p>

Which yields the following list:

jcarlson_0-1646243285305.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Just a quick follow up to @jcarlson thanks for your help. This worked perfectly.  I had to modify it to use an iif statement for the variable as not all answers of a Yes were negative and vice versa.  

239 lines of code later I have it functioning perfectly. 

We have a variety of other needs/desires to do this.  My next task will be applying this to Arc Flash data but using the BDG tag as well 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear it!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

thank you I think I understand and will try it.  I was able to get it working in Pro for a pop up but I was able to use html markup for the color change in the IF statement.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

That actually made a lot of sense once I wrote it out. That decode function is going to come in very handy. 

Now to repeat it 75 times.  Very long detailed survey.  Which is why wanted to pop out the colors for negative answers . 

We also need to use this to represent Arc Flash levels so the field techs will quickly see how dangerous a situation is. 

0 Kudos