Calculate filter for year-to-date for last year

12-17-2019 01:06 PM
MuhammadYasir
New Contributor III

Hello, "Active" members of the community,

Question: How can we create a date filter that filters year to date for last year in the indicator? The only option I could see is Last year. Is there any way to implement year-to-date for last year?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm pretty sure dashboard cannot filter by date. I've had to add numeric fields to data to indicate year and month as 19 & 1 for January, 2019 etc, and then set my filters on that....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DavidNyenhuis1
Esri Contributor

Hi Muhammad,

As you found, you can filter on a date field where "date-time is [within the] year to date". There is not an option for "year to date last year", however. This is a great idea and sounds very useful. I have taken note of this request in our system.

For the time being, I believe you can achieve this with two filter constraints: "date-time is last year AND date-time is before the last 365 days". For today that would translate to a constraint for (between 1/1/2018 AND 12/31/2018) AND (before 12/18/2018). 

Note: This filter would have to be adjusted in the event of a leap year (if Feb 29 present, then use 366 days).

MuhammadYasir
New Contributor III

Thanks, David. One more idea that you should consider for the future is to let the user define its own Year-to-date period. The definition of Year-to-date is very broad, especially in Industry. Some people think Year-to-date as the calendar year (as operation dashboard also does). However, some people use the Year-to-date option to calculate the financial progress or outcome, in that case, Year-to-date should be from 1-07-Current_year to 30-06-next_year. Or some people want to use their Year-to-date to calculate or filter the data related to the regulatory year that could start from 1-04-current_year to 30-03-next_year. It would be good if the operation dashboard allows user to define the period of year-to-date by the users.