Arranging Month name in natural order in serial chart

02-04-2020 07:35 PM
MuhammadYasir
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I am creating a serial chart in which category field contains Month values (i.e. January, February so on) and statistic field value is sum. Its a line graph. The problem I am having is I couldn't arrange the name of Month in an actual manner (i.e. January, February, March, and so on). I tried to use sort field (i.e. ascending and desceding) but didnt produce the desired result. Could anyone guide me how to put the Month name in natural order?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SarahBenner
New Contributor II

Hello Muhammed,

The first question I would have is: what is the datatype of the month field you're using? 

If it is a string field, the month names will be stored as text values, and so when they're sorted, they'll be sorted in alphabetical order (ie: April, August, December, February, January, July, June, etc.).  To change this, you can parse the dates according to this article here to get them to sort in the proper order: Parse dates—Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS | Documentation 

However, if it is a date field, you can set the display style of this field to show just the month, and it will still sort in chronological order.  The display type can be changed in the configure popups tool in the map viewer for your data layer.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos