Applying filters to the dashboard that populates empty charts

02-21-2020 10:30 AM
JordanDavis2
New Contributor II

I have over 2000 data points to display, and this is too much for Operations dashboards to show quickly. It is also not a welcoming sight when you first arrive to the dashboard and there is tons of overlapping data. My audience is not tech savvy, and also very busy. They want to get in, see a small subset of the total data, maybe 10- 20 pieces of information, and get out. Currently, the default Operations dashboard method is to display everything up front which the user filters down to the results they want to see.

The filters are really helpful, but I'd like to have the charts start off empty, then populate based on the filters my users apply. I want them to see only what they want to see. Is there a way to achieve this?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I believe that you could start by setting up a side panel that filters something from starts (by date, type....)

All charts and indicators would be already filtered somehow (you have to build actions that filters all the other elements).

Depending on your requirements it could work.

Side panel—Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS | Documentation 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Not so much response here, but have you ever found a "nice" workaround to achieve what you described @JordanDavis2 ?

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

I received a notification for this thread and I see that I had already Replied.

The answer is the same either a side panel or the selector in the Dashboard Header.

• Create a filter that filters only part of the data or No Data at all (in my case: Date is = tomorrow, . The result is 0 data.
    • then I set this last filter as default and on loading the chart is empty

Capture.PNGnodata.PNG

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you very much @PanGIS !

However I am afraid it is not going to work for me. In addition to normal selector I have a couple of other relations (between map and lists and graphs), so by using Date Selector in order to block some featues, the graphs won't be populated if my input is dependent on filtering which happens on the map (and not only in Date Selector).

But I have found out that maybe something is coming soon: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-dashboards-ideas/allow-quot-no-data-on-opening-of-dashboard-quo...

0 Kudos