Select to view content in your preferred language

Sort Capabilities for ArcGIS Dashboard Tables

01-30-2022 04:17 PM
EmilyMcLeanACTGOV
Occasional Contributor

We are loving the introduction of Tables in ArcGIS Dashboards. It would be great if the table element could have its own refresh option so that as things are updated (in embedded Survey123s for example), there is the option to keep the table up-to-date without having to refresh the whole page. It would also be great if you could select on the column headers to use a sort functionality to be able to view features from A-Z, Largest to smallest, first to last etc. as needed. 

Thanks, 

7 Comments
BrianWilson3

This was a problem with the old dashboards a few years ago.  After some ideas ESRI finally added it to the map viewer classic.  Now with Portal 10.9.1 and the new map viewer, table refresh is gone again.  I hear you can add a table through arcade and have a refresh option there, but you shouldn't have to do that.  

HollyTorpey_LSA

I second this idea! I would especially like to be able to enable an option to sort by double clicking a column header. I think that is such a frequently-seen feature that people are surprised when they can't do it. Let's hope it appears in a future release!

JoshHabel

This would be a great addition!  I would also like to see the user be able to change the sorting on List elements as well but i would put that as secondary to tables.  

CMV_Erik

Allowing the user to sort on demand would be very useful. Using the column header to specify the field would be my preference as well, but having the functionality available somehow is what's most important. 

patrickb
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Albeit perhaps a bit counter-intuitive, a table can be added to the map viewer and have a refresh interval set via its properties panel. Once done, the table then can be saved with the refresh interval 'burned in'. If that table is then used in a dashboard (via a map or as standalone table), it will be respected by the various elements (i.e. the dashboard will automatically check for edited data at the refresh interval and will update when necessary). If an alternate way of setting the refresh interval on a table is sought, please submit a separate idea. 

patrickb_0-1698094107981.png

Exposing a sort option on the table element for viewers to use is something we will investigate and consider for a future release. 

PeterKnoop

Great tip @patrickb! Not intuitive, but it works

ChristopherBowering

I completely agree that allowing table sortability would be very impactful.  If basic attribute tables in Pro allow field sorting, it should be a no brainer to include that function within the Dashboard table element.  When trying to get users to work with a Dashboard - particularly the table element - it doesn't help my case when they get better function out of a simple spreadsheet due to the ability to sort columns.