Operations dashboard - order categories manually

11-13-2018 11:58 PM
GM1
by
Occasional Contributor

I would like to order categories in bar charts manually rather than alphabetically.  That way, hierachies would be more readily apparent.  For instance, I have a dashboard which includes potential harm:

I would like these categories to appear in order of seriousness Minor, Injury, Disablement, Fatality, Catastrophic rather than alphabetically.  Could up & down arrows or drag and drop functionality (like in ArcGIS Pro) be added to order items manually?

Thanks for your consideration.

4 Comments
NickDierks1

I'd like to see this applied to pie charts as well. Right now, their items are ordered from largest to smallest, but sometimes (as in the example you provide) you just need things in a different order. It's very helpful when comparing two such charts with the same items but in different relative percentages.

AnninaHirschiWyss

Two thumbs up! There are several use cases where a logical or chronological order of categories (in pie AND bar charts) is needed rather then by value or alphabetic. E.g. ordering a diagram according to project phases.

LeilaJackson1

Completely agree on this - this is a huge issue for us. For example, I have both a regular bar chart by request status and a stacked bar chart showing request status by subwatershed. Ideally, this would show request status in the same order it appears in the Survery123 form which is the logical request status order: Submitted, Approved, Checked-Out, Checked-In, Model Updates Pending, Model Updated. It is very confusing when reviweing the bar charts, especially the stacked bar chart with the statuses out of order. It just is not logical. We need to be able to edit the order. I have tried a number of work arounds including renaming my categories to include a number at the beginning so it would hopefully appear in order (not ideal). However, one category is still out of order. 

patrickb
Status changed to: Under Consideration

This is something we can look at for a future release. A couple of ideas for workarounds:

Idea 1: Add an integer field to your data where minor=0, injury=1, disablement=2, and so on. When configuring the serial chart, make sure to set a sort by field on the data tab and to use the label override capability on the category axis tab. 

Idea 2:  Use a data expression to order the data exactly how you want it to appear on the serial chart.