Default Action in Operations Dashboard

09-03-2018 05:45 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I think it would be really nice to see the ability to set the default state of actions in an operations dashboard.

This should be able to include, default status of something like the Layer List

Layer List Expanded by Default in Ops Dashboard 

Through to enabling the Select Tool by default so that public users have no need to enable the tool.

Thanks!

13 Comments
CameronBrown

Having to enable the select tool in your dashboard to update widgets is nonsense.  So confusing to a non-GIS user, and even to some experienced GIS users.

BenjaminMittler

It's insane that there's no way to update the widgets besides using the select tool. There should be an option to update them simply by clicking on the map. I can't expect any user to know that they need to click the select tool and then select a feature in order to update the widgets. 

Bahram-Jomehzadeh

I completely agree with you! In some cases like lists and etc is really necessary to have a default choice already selected!

ChrisSambol

I agree, tried implementing this for the public today and I don't think that it will have the same effect for them since they have to intuitively know that they need to click a hidden button on the top left corner of the map.  Please consider having this as an option to enable this setting by default or manually choosing this so the public (as well as staff) would be able to interact with the dashboard/map together better.

Thanks,

TiagoSa

It would be great also to be able to choose wether to allow multiple or just single selections. 

KellyKoenig

@DerekLaw Any update on whether this idea might be moved into the "Under Consideration" category? I know the post is old, but it is something that we still wrestle with using Dashboards on Enterprise 10.8.1. 

To expand on our use case a bit: we'd like to configure actions based on a map selection that would mirror the actions we have set up on a category selector (i.e. clicking on Alabama on the map would update indicators and filter charts just like selecting Alabama from a dropdown category selector). This does work currently, but our end users never realize they need to activate the "select" button first. 

Instead, they click on a state, see that it is highlighted in that familiar "selected" blue and a that a pop-up appears, and are confused when the indicators and charts do not update like they would expect. If there was a setting or control that allowed us to activate the "select" function on the map by default, that would be really helpful.

Thanks for any update you can provide!

NicholasCarroll

I will echo the others here. 

It is not intuitive for general users to activate the select function. 

johngreenspace

Completely agree with everyone above - usability issue that users have to click the feature select tool.  This should be something you can active at startup.  I would apply this to all my dashboards.

TauvicRitter

Indeed, default setting for selection is important. Im working on a dashboard for the general public and they do not understand selection tools. Just a pre-set point selection would be essential

patrickb
Status changed to: In Product Plan

There are a couple of ideas in this 

We are currently tracking the idea to have the layer list expanded by default as ENH-000141633

We are planning to do some improvement to our map tools. The design work for this will start in Q1 2022, but it is too soon to speculate on a release date.