Predefined areas for analysis

06-16-2022 07:22 PM
NaomiBegg
Occasional Contributor

I am wanting to get drive times for a layer of polygons.  Is there a way to do this within this tool without having to redraw every single polygon?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @NaomiBegg 

Sorry for the delayed response. Drive times areas are only supported for point feature layers in ArcGIS. If you provide us more details about your workflow, we might be able to suggest some possible workarounds.

Thanks,

Fasil T.

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @FasilTiru 

We were doing analysis on identifying highly valued areas based on their proximity to multiple different areas and points, such as our CBD, hospital, schools and our large lake.

Points were fine for the likes of the hospital.

Schools worked ok as points, however this meant that they didn't make use of the fact that there are often multiple ways to access a school so for one area in particular the results were very different to expected as it used a side entrance by default rather than the main entrance which cut off all the housing north of the school. 

The CBD we made multiple points showing the boundary of our CBD which worked ok. 

The lake is too large to convert into points, instead we ended up using a generic buffer for the lake which doesn't take into account the access routes to the lake and the topography of the land when comparing walkability to drivability.

It would be great if we could have an automated process which would allow for defined areas and then behind the scenes have the tool convert this to points for every access way (road, footpath, track etc) and then create drive/bike/walk times based on the type of access ways it finds.  I would expect to get quite different results with a drive compared to bike/walk due to the use of paths and tracks that cut across blocks.

0 Kudos
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the details @NaomiBegg,

Unfortunately, ArcGIS Community Analyst does not have this capability. You might be able to automate the process using ArcGIS desktop/Pro. I recommend posting your question in ArcGIS Pro community page. Once you create the desired areas using a ArcGIS Pro, you can import the layer to Community Analyst and then do further analysis, and run reports/infographics. 

Best regards,

Fasil T.

0 Kudos