Why does Collector say Update failed?

08-01-2014 08:14 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

When I was testing Collector I made a test feature but got a message that the update failed-updates could not be sent and I can cancel or retry.  Cancel abandons the feature and retry returns the same result. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
22 Replies
AntonioRodrigues_Martins_Junio
Esri Contributor

I'm facing the same problem here.

Error: Underlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]There are no rows in the current fetch buffer

Using arcgis 10.2.2  and working with offline data. When I try to edit features using ArcMap(same dataset as I use in offline mode), works for a while, then appear the error reported above.

Quite similar with Sumant Mallavaram problem.

SethHays
New Contributor II

Hi Antonio,

Were you ever able to resolve this problem. We are getting that exact error here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ToddHenry1
Occasional Contributor

Seth / Sumant / Antonio,

We are getting the same error when editing in ArcMap or ArcGIS Online to a SQL server database.  Did you find any long term resolution besides restarting the SQL server?

ESRI support pointed us to this knowledge base http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/43036, but enabled CLR is likely not an option because we are using a shared database instance.

0 Kudos
DaveCross
New Contributor

I have encountered the same problem with an on-premesis 10.22 ArcGIS Server and a SQL-Server backed GDB. In my case the symptom was that the ApplyEdits REST API call failed.

The Error from ArcGIS Server is:

Unable to complete operation.

Unable to perform applyEdits operation.

And the detail in the logs is:

Error: Underlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]There are no rows in the current fetch buffer.]

I cannot yet explain how the server got into this state, but perhaps my resolution will help you. To resolve the issue we did the following:

1. Stop all services connecting to the offending database.
  2. Restart the DB instance with the commands below
  3. Restart the services again

ALTER DATABASE MyDatabase SET OFFLINE WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
go
ALTER DATABASE
MyDatabase SET ONLINE
go

Once the services came back online the REST API was able to update features once again.

RyanNosek2
New Contributor

Thank you for your post Dave - I can verify having the same issue as the Original post and the same Error: Underlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]There are no rows in the current fetch buffer.].  Your solution fixed our problem.  Now if we could only figure out why it happened in the first place? 

Can any one else verify if Dave's solution worked for them as well?

PeterMcRostie
New Contributor II

Has this solution worked for anyone? I am getting the same error in 10.3.1

0 Kudos
TracieStreltzer
New Contributor III

I was also getting reports of the download stalling.  Compressing the database with all connections closed, then taking it offline and back online again resolved it for me. Editing through ArcMap online was never affected, it was only the REST interface that was an issue.

0 Kudos
PeterMcRostie
New Contributor II

The temporary fix of stopping all services and taking the SQL database offline and putting back online works but the big question is why do I have to do this every other week??

The archive enabled data which is being used offline seems to be source of the issue...

Error: Underlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]There are no rows in the current fetch buffer.] [GIS_EDIT.DBO.tmpRubbishRemoval].

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

This issue is caused by the database archive taking up too much room.  We bumped the RAM on our database server and it fixed the issues.  It is possible switching from a database with archiving to one  with versioning may fix it as well.

Reference:

Are SQL Server, ArcGIS Server, Runtime/Collector really production ready?!?

danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

same issue here, saw the server task mgn reported 90%+ of memory was being used. Just ordered another 4GB of RAM.

0 Kudos