Using feature templates

03-24-2014 10:59 AM
SarahO_Rourke
New Contributor
Hi,

I was wondering if it were possible to use feature templates in the collector app. The app can be time consuming and redundant to collect information for common features. I know that I can symbolize based on a field but is there ways to associate different default values. My specific purpose is collecting data about parking spaces, free/metered on/off street, restrictions etc. if I could create templates that had common attribute, ie. "on street, free and 2 hour limit" or "off street metered", it would save A LOT of field time.

Thanks for your help 🙂
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
We have a group that contains a variety of templates that you can publish in your org and try out in the Collector app here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?owner=esri_collector&title=Collector%20Templates

Russ
0 Kudos
SarahO_Rourke
New Contributor
Thanks Russ,
That's a great resource that I wasn't aware of! However it doesn't really help me right now. Is it possible to use my own feature templates when editing and creating new feature in the Desktop version in the app?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
We currently do not have a desktop version of the Collector app. You can only edit/collect features that were published to a feature service with editing capabilities enabled and have that service in a web map. You currently cannot create a layer in the app.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
SarahO_Rourke
New Contributor
Sorry, I'm having trouble to putting into words what I am looking for.

I have a feature class that I set up in desktop that I created feature templates for with different default values for different parking spot types but when I publish it to ArcGIS online to be used in the app I lose the templates. Is it possible to maintain the templates with appropriate default values when collection data using the app? Or an I missing a step that would allow that to happen.

Thanks,
Sarah
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes your feature feature templates based off of subtypes/domains and default values should be stored in the feature service and will be respected by the app.

Russ
0 Kudos
KevinHofmann
New Contributor III
I believe this is a related to this thread (domains within collector app). 
Russ, I have a attribute range domain on two fields that is enforced within the iOS collector app (latest version) but is NOT with the android collector app (latest version).  The iOS version works great.  The app will not allow the editor to enter a value outside the range domain. 
Within the android version, the editor can enter values outside the range domain.  If one of the two fields are within the range domain, updates are sent.  If both fields are outside the range domain, an error message indicating that updates were not sent appears.  Any help with this issue would be great.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can I check out your service and see if I can reproduce the issue?

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
KevinHofmann
New Contributor III
Russ,

Thank you for the reply.  I will send you a private message so you can access the service.

After testing my service further, it appears the updates are sent if the value entered is within the precision & scale that is set for the field.  Also, updates will be sent if the value is outside the domain range.  So, the android app enforces the precision & scale but not the domain range.
I have two fields with a precision of 2, scale of 1, a domain range with a min value of 0 and a max value of 6.
If I enter a value of 9 in the field(s), the updates will be sent.  If I enter a value of 10, the error message appears.  As long as the value(s) is/are below 10, the updates will be sent.

Thank you,

Kevin
0 Kudos